Honey Fudge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
As the local Honey shows are approaching, anyone have a good Honey Fudge recipe and which type of Honey do people recommend using for best effect?

Honey Fudge.

2 oz butter.
2 tablespoons honey.
4 tablespoons water.
1 lb granulated sugar.
8 tablespoons condensed milk.

Place all the ingredients into a heavy pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and for about 10 minutes until a little of the mixture dropped into cold water forms a soft ball when rolled between finger and thumb (238 F/114 C on a sugar thermometer). Leave to cool until just warm. Beat well until the mixture becomes thick and creamy and pour at once into a buttered, flat tin. Cut into squares when set.

Thanks for the reply.

Just thought i'd post the results of my two attempts to date:

Round 1:

750g sugar, 250g organic demerera sugar, 1 tin condensed milk, 100ml skimmed milk - heated gently til sugar "dissoved" - then pinch of salt and 4 tablespoons acacia honey added before boiling to soft ball stage (using thermometer), taken off heat for a few mins, 100g butter stirred in then beaten and poured into tray lined with baking parchment.

Result: Fairly firm caramel tablet-like (scottish fudge), quite dark & very granular with no obvious honey element

Round 2:
1kg golden caster sugar, 1 tin condensed milk, 100ml gold top milk - heated gently til sugar "dissoved" (much better than before) - then pinch of salt and 150g wildflower honey added before boiling to soft ball stage (estimated), taken off heat for a few mins, 75g butter stirred in then beaten and poured.

Result: Soft slightly sticky fudge, light brown and finely granular. Honey element apparent but not overwhelming.

Plan to try version 2 again with a little darker sugar, honey added later in process and boiled for a bit longer.

latest update

Have completed versions 3 & 4 last night. version 4 aiming to be a bit caramelly like version 1 but with a definite honey flavour coming through.

version 3: 200ml gold top. 85g butter. honey added late in boil. boiled for a bit longer than previously.

version 4: 100ml gold top. 85g butter. 1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar (extra). 300g honey added towards end of boil. again boiled for a bit longer.

Results:

version 3 has turned out as a thick dark caramel - very slowly collapses when out of tin and can't be cut into blocks so that's going to be frozen and blocked out for puddings.

version 4 is a nice dark fudge with good texture and strong honey flavour.

versions 2 & 4 are now portioned out to show spec and vac packed ready for next week. Here's hoping.

If possible could we see a picture of version 4. I'm considering spending a few hours in the kitchen next week knocking up a few treats for an upcoming show to sell along side my honey. Also how many servings are you getting per batch. Thx :drool5:

honey fudge

mike - have a photo of the stuff in trays and also have a spare block which i'm currently taking back for the other half to try. while photograph that tomorrow am (will be a bit worse for travel) and post/pm both then.

so far version 4 has hit the right spot with all who tried the various versions.

It's a rich chestnut brown colour BTW.

sorry forgot to add - certainly would appear to be getting the 1.6kg or so expected from the ingredients. what size portions do you sell in? you'd certainly get 12 quarters, probably a few more - there certainly seemed to be around 4x the max amount allowed at our show (400g).

Dark Honey Fudge recipe

1 kg golden caster sugar
1 heaped tablespoon dark soft brown sugar
1 tin (397 g) condensed milk
100 ml gold top milk
pinch of salt
300 g organic wildflower honey
75 g unsalted organic butter

Brown sugar, condensed milk and gold top heated gently in large heavy bottomed pan until sugar dissolved. Caster sugar then added and process repeated. Then salt and honey added before boiling to soft-ball stage (114-116°C), taken off heat for a few minutes before butter (chopped into a few pieces) stirred in. Mixture then beaten for 5 minutes until starting to granulate and then poured into lined baking tray and allowed to set.

:drool5:

thanks, i'll let you know if I make some and how it goes.

np problem

sorry about the rough edge in photo - had got a bit squashed and sweaty in my handluggage!!!! (along with 1.5kg of the soft caramelly stuff in a metal tray - security loved that!!!!!)

Mmmmmm, I'm going to try that with our first batch of honey.

Update...

Just to let everyone know that version 4 (the dark honey fudge, as per picture) was placed 2nd at local Honey show (apparently would have been first if it hadn't been a smidge over the weight specified in show schedule - i'd weighed before hand but been generous as the entries in that class were to be auctioned afterwards)

richard

1 kg golden caster sugar
100 ml gold top milk
pinch of salt

Brown sugar, condensed milk and gold top heated gently in large heavy bottomed pan until sugar dissolved. Caster sugar then added and process repeated. Then salt and honey added before boiling to soft-ball stage (114-116°C), taken off heat for a few minutes before butter (chopped into a few pieces) stirred in. Mixture then beaten for 5 minutes until starting to granulate and then poured into lined baking tray and allowed to set.

Thanks for this Dr S.

I have to let everyone know that this stuff is fantastic! I have made three lots since bonfire night. I have been cutting some into small cubes about 10-12mm, and dipping them in 70% cocoa Lindt chocolate. It makes are really special gift and I will make another batch to give to friends and family for Christmas.

Dr P

Fantastic Fudge

1 kg golden caster sugar
100 ml gold top milk
pinch of salt

Dr S, thank you for this recipe. I tried it today and it worked perfectly. Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas! :xmas-smiley-016:

I sell this at a farmer's market. Everybody loves it.
I made loads for a Christmas fayre and sold out in an hour!!!

I tried.....just as an experiment (as it's so popular I wondered what I would do when I run out of my own honey) using 95p per lb supermarket basic.......cringe. Hubby thought it tasted better than made with our own honey.......philistine!!!
I don't think so...
Thanks from me Dr S too

I couldn't find gold top so I used double cream instead. Once finished I ground some salt over the top to make a salted honey fudge. It is gorgeous.

I've just made some, it's cooling right now. I don't have a sugar thermometer so did the cold water test. Hopefully it tuns out ok! If not I've wasted a jar of honey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This fudge does sound nice I just may give it a go and see how it goes down at the association agm.

Latest posts

Back