Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

rampino 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
beehaus
Number of Hives
Morning all, just seen an interesting article on Honey Fraud on the net. WIRED UK “Honey detectives are closing in on China’s shady syrup swindlers” 14Jan21.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Morning all, just seen an interesting article on Honey Fraud on the net. WIRED UK “Honey detectives are closing in on China’s shady syrup swindlers” 14Jan21.
There’s a link in this very short thread

mbc 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
A bit heart wrending the despondency in the Yucatan peninsula beekeepers, a hugely productive area traditionally producing a large surplus significantly contributing to the world's quality honey supplies, put out of business by Chinese fructose factories. I expect genuine Chinese beekeepers are also victims of this unscrupulous fraud, the attitude of the British honey packers spokesperson in the article is also shameful 😢

Michael Palmer 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I have many friends in Mexico due to my trips there to speak to beekeeping groups. They are so good to me, showering me with gifts and friendship. At one time, Mexico was 5th largest honey exporter in the world. This honey market, ruined by the Chinese transshipped adulterated product, really is destroying the livelihood of the family beekeepers . Sad to see this happening to such a fine group of wonderful people. The Chinese could care less

Reactions: mbc

Apple 

Banned
Reaction score
Number of Hives
The Chinese could care less

And the public are unaware of what honey they are being sold unfortunately.

BugsInABox 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Is it possible given the intensive methods we saw on a video post here a month ago, that even if not alduterated we will never beat them on price (without copying their methods?)
Neil

Last edited:

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Is it possible given the intensive methods we saw on a video post here a month ago, that even if not alduterated we will never beet them on price (without copying their methods?)
Neil
I think its more important to expose the fraud and educate the mass public and the supermarket buyers. Accounts cant argue when sales drop significantly. Its always possible that Jo public does'nt mind being sold sugar syrup as honey of course.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Is it possible given the intensive methods we saw on a video post here a month ago, that even if not alduterated we will never beet them on price (without copying their methods?)
Neil
Sorry but why do you/we want to compete with them on price. You certainly don’t need to! For small scale production it’s not an issue and for the many looking for a decent product the 2 opposite ends of the spectrum rarely compete. I always thought the high manuka prices worked because people got used to seeing decent prices charged.

Last edited:

BugsInABox 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Sorry but why do you/we want to compete with them on price. You certainly don’t need to! For small scale production it’s not an issue and for the many looking for a decent product the 2 opposite ends of the spectrum rarely compete. I always thought the high manuka prices worked because people got used to seeing decent prices charged.
No need to be sorry - I don't think we should either. But there is also a view expressed on here that product differentiation by useing descriptors like raw is not the way to go. So how do we differentiate ourselves? Maybe promote British - but then, for it to mean anything, there'd have to a minumum standard.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
But there is also a view expressed on here that product differentiation by useing descriptors like raw is not the way to go.
Well we don't need to use that word, in actual fact I think it devalues our product and puts us on the twee hipster up thenselves shelf, which isn't going to last, we just have to convince people that cheap doesn't always mean value for money - there will be those we can never educate, and they wil just carry on buying and eating that sh!te, but it's not that hard a job to convince the majority to switch to decent honey, years ago SWMBO persuaded me to waste a day at her office during an office 'home produce' day, I met a colleague of hers who 'definitely did not like honey, never have, never will' she of course had been bought up with the cheap offerings at the local coop in Merthyr, I persuaded her to taste mine, SWMBO now has a regular order to take into work, with extra orders at Christmas.
I was actually surprised many years ago when before I really went for selling our own brand and actively pursuing more customers, I walked into my local butcher (who didn't sell my honey) during the tesco horse meat scandal to realise he was selling the usual 'mix of EU and honey flavour treacle' honey marketed in a jar with a gingham bonnet, Martin wasn't there at the time but the other lads (who I've known for years, and knew I had bees) registered my grumbling and passed them on to him. Next time I went in, he was there, and the girls blocked his escape his reply to my shout of 'oi! Jonesey, it's bad enough you putting horse meat in your pork pies, but chinese honey!?' shocked me - he almost begged me to sell him local honey as, since his old supplier had finished he was losing passing trade from those who went in specifically to get decent honey then, as they were there, bought a pound of sausages/bacon, whatever.

Latest posts