Honey Extractors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a seriously well thought out piece of kit .. I can't really justify swapping my current manual extractor at present but that has all the attributesI would put in to an extractor if I was looking at a wish list. Although wiidening all the doors might be a PITA !

Ian at Old castle Farm showed me the latest extractor design they've worked with Konigin for those with less space, it's a narrower radial extractor (think it was a six frame) and looked a decent bit of kit.

Radial: usually takes more frames. Key advantage vs tangential is you only have one cycle extracting.

WIth tangential, you insert frames.. usually four. And spin first time - usually quite slowly if the frames are unbalanced with more honey in one than the others. Then you open extractor, tuurn each frame so out facing turns in and infacing turns out.. Extract much fatser this time. Then stop and change frame poistions again.. So three cycles vs one for radial.
In 2018 I extracted 460 lbs of honey this way. I was totally knackered - all manual turning..

Radial: the frames are extracted once.

If you go electric radial, you can uncap next frames whilst spinning last frames...so saving a lot of time.

BUT : electric costs money But control is a sgood as manual with variable speeds.
radial costs money - larger extractor..

As I said previously I started cheap and then became more expensive.. If you start expensive and then give up beekeeping - for whatever reason - and lots do - then you take a big hit on a new radial electric sold s/h..

If you have only 1-2 hives then a manual tangential will be fine.. 7-8 hives and the work is time consuming and VERY tiring...

I adopted the cheap method...

Apologies for any typos.. Wine at meal.

Best answer on the thread.

Latest posts

Back