Honey extractor - or honey poisoner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would take it to a Man U match to bang as a drum!

Or leave it Blue and take it to a MFU match, that could be fun :smash:

clean it and have it powder coated it would serve you well for another 50 years

Naw, that too expensive, I am sure I have some old lead based paint somewhere that will make it look better (especially if I paint the inside) and the honey will just slide off the insides then, I won't even have to wash it out afterwards.
:gnorsi:

You may all (apart from HP) jest but for a few quid someone might epoxy resin coat all the working innards and have a good home-consumption spinner for not too much. £31 quid was still too much. I paid 30 quid for one in better condition than that, last year. It had a plastic barrel, with good honey valve and an early Thorne electric motor drive. Well worth the money!

Regards, RAB

You may all (apart from HP) jest but for a few quid someone might epoxy resin coat all the working innards and have a good home-consumption spinner for not too much. £31 quid was still too much. I paid 30 quid for one in better condition than that, last year. It had a plastic barrel, with good honey valve and an early Thorne electric motor drive. Well worth the money!

Regards, RAB

Sorry, but not for me. I have a Stainless Steel jobby and I am even getting OCD on cleaning this. Home-consumption or not.

I like to think I am practical and resourceful (pales in comparison to HP tho), but there are odd things that I would rather just throw (waste in in some peoples eyes) money at.
:cheers2:

yes i total agree a stainless steel spinner is the better way to go ,But if you only have a few quid to spend and it is for home comsumption then this rusty one painted with something food safe would serve you well, Everyone knocks these old spinners but I was taught to use one when i started as they were more common than stainless steel, and that was only 26 years ago, so sorry but if if wanted a spinner and this came along then yes i would buy it. My last decent spinner cost well over £700 plus a trip to the spring show to collect it from its danish makers. After a blinding simple observation from JCBrum i am now looking into buying the parts to make a newer and much larger one for around half that price.

last thing and this is one that does bug me at times there are a few but not many that operate outside of the bbka or other grouping , this means we do not have an equipment borrowing circle to dip into as many lucky people do and as such we do have to have our own equipment.

please laugh at the ebay items , I know i do ALOT OF THE TIME the word "vintage" should be banned from it

PaleoPerson,

Sorry, but not for me.

Wasn't for me either. But some might. Done properly it would be no worse than extractors of 70 years ago.

The one I purchased: Cage was cut up, barrel is now a water butt and the electrics are for my 9 frame radial S/S extractor bought new for about a couple hundred (I think)about ten years ago.

It was still better than the one on epay, that is all I said. Basically I paid 30 quid to electrify my manual spinner and got some useful items in the price.

Regards, RAB

Wot about Fragile Planet's

As a newbeek with amibtions actually to harvest a little honey this year -
has anyone used the Fragile Planet's extractor (the one you attach a cordless drill to)? If so, any views on whether it would suffice for extracting from just a couple of colonies?

Hi

Remember that many associations will have an extractor that can be hired out for a few £.

Regards Ian

has anyone used the Fragile Planet's extractor (the one you attach a cordless drill to)? If so, any views on whether it would suffice for extracting from just a couple of colonies?

I have not used it but i have seen it (i live about 15 mins from them)
personally, i would not buy it. looks rather flimsy to me.
yes i am sure it would do the job (for a short time anyway) but i would imagine that you would soon become fed up and frustrated with it.
i would say that the thornes budget extractor is a better option. but again, not used that either!, just my oppinion. :)

Latest posts

Back