Honey extractor in Africa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw that link ages ago what you are looking for is either of these a steel dust bin with a pieces of some thing across the inside bottom to base the shaft on, i would sussest wood painted or unpainted with a hole drilled half way through, or you could use a steel or plastic oil drum with the lid cut off, black dust bins are to weak and will crack but at a push will do a days work

I found an oil drum already, it looks in those pictures that their drum has been painted inside. Just wondering how is the honey reacts with paint? Going to give mine a good wash with some kind of a very good oil removing cleaning agent.

personally i think it is a easy project for the beginner beek who hasn't got specific equipment:)

Lauri

Dont forget its "supposed" to be food grade stainless or plastic if you are going to sell the honey. :cheers2:

sahtlinurk, firstly how on earth am i to say your name???

to remove oil use either percil washing powder as in clothes or use fairy liquid and lots of hot water , hotter the better. to then paint the inside use a enamaol paint , hammerite springs to mind but it must dry for at least 4 weeks first to air the fumes off or you will end up with honey tasting paint, or why not paint at all use a very large polythene bag to line the inside and then insert your spinner to make it stick to the bin side smear them with cooking oil first this way you can use some very grubby containers. you are better off to do it with a black plastic bin and two bmx wheels

The name is actually Lauri, sahtlinurk is just my user name an has a very specific meaning which is not relevant:)

As for painting - i think it is not good idea as well. paint and honey ... no no.
If i wash it ( got commercial pressure washer, with steam cleaning etc.) with lots of fary or washing powder and use it as it is, it should be ok. Those drums are made normally out of steel. If i keep it in nice and dry it shouldn't rust or just will put conversation oil on it while storing.

The whole point of this thing is to make it up as cheep as possible and also as safe as needed. If i will buy this pre made stainless cage i might buy already the extractor. I just want to keep it cheap and cheerful:)

am I very blue eyed?

Chrs,
Lauri

That si basicaly what sahtlinurk is trying to make.

extractor1.JPG

That is the one. Decided to give up oil drum and go for plastic. Safer. will be two or three frame extractor, depends on design and the level of creativity.

Cheers,
lauri

Sorry if I sound stupid, are these blue barrel new food grade?

Steve

As the extracted honey is not going to be in contact with the container for any length of time its probably not important for it to be food grade plastic as long as it has been thoroughly cleaned with something like a steriliser you would use for home brew beer and wine making. Somebody once told me that he used to sterilise the water tanks on his motorhome with a couple of bottles of cheap lemon juice. Any food being stored does however need to be in food grade containers. Look for food processing factories and see what they have in their yards.
I have seen stuff on ebay but the problem is that its either collect only or high postage charges.

Steve

It depends..

If you are a food processor you buy food grade barrels.

If you are in the floor polish business you dont need food grade.
If you are buying second hand and are told that it is food grade and there is an old label on it which lists the original contents, doesnt mean to say that it hasnt been used to steal somebody's central heating oil in the meantime.

Steve

As somebody has already said possibly not but I googled plastic barrels and the first site I found was using recycled barrels from the food industry and they looked exactly like the one shown.

:biggrinjester:Bring back Hedgerow Pete's video of how to make a cheap home extractor, (as used to in Africa, I believe)....not worthy

These dudes have got it all wrong after I told them to use a bicycle to extract their honey. What I meant was for the bike to be connected to the extractor and some guy to peddle away to turn the extractor. Good idea if they are extracting in an area without electricity.

Hi, you're not going to believe this but we have sort of, one of those honey extractors in our cellar! It was given to us by a friend, it was his dads' honey extractor, and works with the wheel but what he did was fix it so that an electric drill powers it! But it starts with an oil drum, a wheel etc.....

Latest posts

Back