honey extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debzbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone got some suggestions on how to extract honey without using an extractor? I've just taken off a couple of supers (under advise from nearby bee inspector!) and now not sure on best approach to remove hone, though I do have some ideas.
Thanks
Debz:

i extracted one super using a seive supported on a frame work with a honey bucket, or othr container underneath. Scrape the capped cells using a spoon and placw in seive. Works best in a warm room or airing cupboard.

Thanks, sounds like what I'm thinking of doing!

2 supers? Could be best part of 25kg if full.

Get (borrow, rent, hire) an extractor or get someone to do it for you. It is worth it to retain the comb. That is my take on it. 3 or 4 part-frames is OK to destroy (scrape back to the foundation), maybe; but if you have 2 whole supers, I would be wanting to extract without destroying all that wax-building effort.

There was a recent thread on the forum about a simple one-frame tangential extractor using a rope, plastic box and cake tray stand thingy. Worth looking up.

RAB

Sorry I meant to say 3 frames off of one super...not two supers....anyway am now going to use extractor from my my association. Having spoken to someone and now with what you're saying seems like the best thing to do.
Thanks for input.

Debzbees, Personally I think a useful tip for uncapping is using a hot air gun. There is very little waste and it saves a lot of messing around with using a knife for uncapping then seiving. I have not tried a hair dryer but that may work also.

if you have no equiptment at all a brand new pair of tights works well
scrape the comb in to the tights squeeze it down the legs in to a bowl /jug or what you want . Nice clean honey no bits.
wash the tights in cold water when finished to recover the wax

we used a sterilised jelly bag like you'd use for jam making, worked well for small scale extraction

Latest posts

Back