Honey Cake Recipe Needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polish Honey Cake

Here's a recipe for a traditional Polish Honey Cake - rather like gingerbread and associated especially with Christmas.

Mix 4 eggs with 5 ounces of sugar (14 dkgs), add 1 lb (.5 kilo) of honey and .5 pt (.25 ltr) of milk and 1 lb (.5 kilo) of self raising flour. Lastly add a teaspoon of continental / German gingerbread spices - mixed spice is an adequate substitute. Bake for an hour and check whether ready with a skewer.

Possible additiions. alterations : this recipe will give you a rather dry cake that traditionally was baked 4 to 6 weeks before Christmas and over this period softened and moistened of its' own accord. To get a cake that is immediately soft and ready to eat add .5 packet(softened) of butter or a cup of sunflower/vegetable oil. You can also add a handful of mixed fruit and my mothers own invention : chunks of dark, plain chocolate, preferably 70% cocoa, which can also be used to coat the top of the cake.

I've adapted the recipe for modern ingredients which gives you a very quick cake to mix - I can throw it together in 10 minutes. Universally acknowledged as totally delicious.

honey cake recipe

75g butter
75g sugar
2 eggs, beaten
125g honey
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar, gradually beat in the eggs and honey. Addd flour and baking powder a little at a time and mix well. Put into a grased and lined 9 inch baking tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180/gas mark 4 for 45-50 mins until golden brown.

Enjoy!!!

I look forward to trying this one. Thank you

Is there a recipe for honey cake with fruit much like a boiled fruit cake. My wife tried making a honey fruit cake but the fruit all sank to the bottom and became very soggy.

Busy Bee

Is there a recipe for honey cake with fruit much like a boiled fruit cake. My wife tried making a honey fruit cake but the fruit all sank to the bottom and became very soggy.

Busy Bee
Gotta be careful with honey in baking , you could finish up with too much moisture in the mix resulting in soggy cakes ;)

John Wilkinson

Thought Id posted this on here before....

ngredients:

4 oz Butter
3 Eggs
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons honey
8 oz Walnuts
1 lb Seedless raisins
8 oz Caster Sugar
6 oz Plain Flour
1/4 Teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons milk
1/4 Bicarbonate of soda

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Beat eggs together then add to creamed mixture with flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg
Stir in milk
Mix honey and soda together and add to mixture
Add chopped walnuts and raisins and pour into a greased and floured 2lb loaf tin
Bake at 325F (gas mark 3) for 21/4 hrs
Cool in tin before turning out

How about using the wifes recipe but instead of the fruit in the batter, she lines the baking pan with the fruit and then makes and upside down fruit and honey cake. Just butter the pan thouroghly and sprinkle with sugar before lining with fruit.

honey fruit cake
80z margarine
40z honey
120zself raising flour
12oz mixed dried fruit
5oz soft light brown sugar
3 eggs
4 tbsp milk
grated rind of lemon or orange
flaked almonds to put on top

put honey sugar and 2 tbsp milk in saucepan and melt. let it cool.
cream marg with sugar and honey mix and beat well. beat in the eggs gradually. fold in fruit rind and then fold in flour. add milk as required to make dropping consistency.
place mixture in 2 vgreased and lined 6 inch cake tins. arrange almonds on top.
bake at 140 c or 275f for 1 and a quarter hours,

75g butter
75g sugar
2 eggs, beaten
125g honey
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cream together butter and sugar, gradually beat in the eggs and honey. Addd flour and baking powder a little at a time and mix well. Put into a grased and lined 9 inch baking tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180/gas mark 4 for 45-50 mins until golden brown.

Enjoy!!!

That's the one I use, good with osr or other strong honey. You can also warm a bit of honey and drizzle over after baking , goes perfect with a nice cuppa rosy!

what gets my goat is the specification of margarine in the provided recipes for honey shows.

i refuse to cook with it and certainly wouldn't waste my honey in anything that contains it.

as the hairy bikers are wont to say "why don't we use marg? because it's sh*t!"

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Butter all the way for me and it has to be british if possible. See no point in using artifical crud when you can get a product that is natural and tastes better.

it worries me all the chemicals we are throwing into our bodies without even a second thought.

My mum still says about butter being too expensive to use in cooking but for goodness sake you might as well buy ready made if you are going to use plastic in your cooking!

Does any one remember a large list of honey based recipes? thought it was part of conway beekeepers www but don't seem to able to find it anywhere......
:(:(:(

Hi beekeepers,

Any tips on how to prevent a honey cake sinking in the middle?

Thanks guys

And pay attention to the quantity of honey :) an 'over wet' dough is often responsible for that sinking feeling :) remember differing honey's have differing moisture contents.
VM

Subject: Majestic and Moist Honey Cake From Smitten Kitchen blog
This is the cake. the batter is very moist and it took longer in my oven - more like 90 mins - you just have to check it with a skewer. Be careful to keep it covered or It will burn. Honey based baked goods are notorious for it I have read. I put the almond s at the bottom of the pan since you turn the bunt out.

I dressed it with a mix of 30g butter 30g honey melted in a saucepan and Tbsp of whisky added poured over when cooled.

There were noises off on the comments section on the blog about the cake sinking hence revised raising agent quantities. Interesting to read the full blog - search the site

Sent from my iPad

Adapted from Marcy Goldman’s Treasure of Jewish Holiday Baking
Update 9/29/11: It only took me three years guys, but I finally got back to this cake today. My hunch was that the sinking was caused by too much leavener. I made this cake in a tube pan today with 1 teaspoon not tablespoon of baking powder (keep the baking soda level the same) and voila, no sinking! The cake has a beautiful, tall dome and my apartment smells like the heavens above. I now cautiously recommend you use this adjusted amount of baking powder instead; cautiously because I’ve only retested the cake in a tube pan and not the other sizes yet, but if you do with this adjustment, please let us know in the comments. Happy honey cake-ing!

3 1/2 cups (440 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder [see Update above 1 teaspoone]
1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 teaspoons (about 8 grams) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup (235 ml) vegetable oil
1 cup (340 grams) honey
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (95 grams) brown sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1 cup warm (235 ml) coffee or strong tea
1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice
1/4 cup (60 ml) rye or whiskey
1/2 cup (45 to 55 grams) slivered or sliced almonds (optional)
Fits in three loaf pans, two 9-inch square or round cake pans, one 9 or 10 inch tube or bundt cake pan, or one 9 by 13 inch sheet cake. I made mine in two full-size loaf pans plus two miniature ones.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray. For tube or angel food pans, line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper, cut to fit.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Make a well in the center, and add oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee or tea, orange juice and rye or whiskey, if using. (If you measure your oil before the honey, it will be easier to get all of the honey out.)

Using a strong wire whisk or in an electric mixer on slow speed, stir together well to make a thick, well-blended batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom.

Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Sprinkle top of cake(s) evenly with almonds, if using. Place cake pan(s) on two baking sheets, stacked together (this will ensure the cakes bake properly with the bottom baking faster than the cake interior and top).

Bake until cake tests done, that is, it springs back when you gently touch the cake center. For final test check that skewer comes out clean. For angel and tube cake pans, this will take 60 to 75 minutes, loaf cakes, about 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet style cakes, baking time is 40 to 45 minutes.

Let cake stand fifteen minutes before removing from pan. it can be tricky

Latest posts

Back