Honey Bound

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenperrett

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A couple of my hives are getting totally honeybound.

I`ve only got foundation and they can`t pull it out fast enough to cope with the major flow we`ve got on at the moment. If i remove the uncapped honey in the brood box and give them foundation they just draw it out and fill it with stores straight away.

I never thought i`d have a problem with having to much honey, lol.

`m going to extract some honey this week just so i can give them back some drawn supers hopefully to clear the backlog a bit.

Anything else i can do ?

Darren,

Just wondering what you do with uncapped honey in brood frames?

Is there space in the supers for honey? If that is not capped you could spread the frames so you need less frames for more honey stored per super.

Regards, RAB

Hi RAB,
There are 2 supers with capped Manley frames on top of one super being filled above one being drawn out, so not much room for spreading the frames.

If i remove honey from the brood box and replace with foundation they just draw it out and fill it up with honey, they might as well use there energy pulling out supers.
I think they need a couple of wet days to stay in and do a bit of processing and have a catch up.

Darren.

Latest posts

Back