honey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi i make bee hive in my spare time but i intend to get some bees later on .my friend has a pest controll buissnes and he was called out yesterday about some bees so when he got there the old women said they have been here for years so he had a look and there honey bees could i get them and when +how thanks

If you have no experience in bee keeping then you need the assistance of someone who can do this difficult procedure. We need more information- are they in a tree trunk, a chimney, a wall space.

your learning curve is going to be near vertical good luck. hope you have a suit cos ull need it for an extraction.

Not always Newportbuzz.... as we say bees don't read. I got a colony from an old tree hollow- had to chainsaw- and they were so near death they never stirred off the comb. I was expecting world war 3...They are now active in a Nuc, after a scrummy feed.

Not always Newportbuzz.... as we say bees don't read. I got a colony from an old tree hollow- had to chainsaw- and they were so near death they never stirred off the comb. I was expecting world war 3...They are now active in a Nuc, after a scrummy feed.
hope this is true for ken. i have been tempted to print out the page on swarm control and put it in the hive so they know what they are suposed to be doing.

thanks ill find out more about them later today

can they not be left till next year it would be better for them after all you say they have been there years
where abouts in the UK it's a big place

hi alan thats what my friend has told the old women to do he said it would be best to move them next year some time she said that would be ok im from hexham northumberland

Maybe in March/April weather permitting you and your friend can go and take them to one of your hive then start up with your first colony
bee-smillie:seeya:

Kiethgrimes is near you Morpeth area. send him a PM he may be able to help.

just found out today there in a chimney stack the old women says they swarm evrey year into her wall garden mainly.there is a lot of fruit trees there. she say they have been bees in the stack for as long as she can remember and shes been there 40 year me and my mate are going to try and get a swarm later on can any body tell me what should we do

ken im sorry nobody giving u advice on the subject but sure theres lots info on here for u in the search also utube has lot clips on dealing with swarms

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgkLprdeI7U[/ame]

Ken, the nice thing about this forum is you can disagree and still be friends! In the nicest possible way I disagree with Fox, I think you have been given excellent advice - leave them bee (yes I know - corny :biggrinjester:).

If they have been there that long and the owner is happy then let them winter, get a bait hive or two out with her permission next spring; be on the alert for a potential swarm that needs collecting. If they need to be removed now is not the time anyway (if you want them to survive). Spend the winter reading up and asking clarifying questions on here. Mean while look out your local association, see if you can get assigned a mentor and look out for the Thornes sale (29-11-10). One more thing, have you identified a suitable apiary site? learning to keep, neighbours and bees can be a fraught combination best avoided!

haha i clicked on kens messages and only one i saw his question top of second page didnt see page 1 :( sorry beeks my mistake i just thought no-one had replyed ....mmm

I bet they go back to the chimney every year because its nice and warm in the winter......

Latest posts

Back