Honey Bee Facts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

A bee must tap 2 million flowers to make 1lb of honey and would have to fly 55,000 miles to get it

One bee will make 1/10 of a teaspoon of honey during her lifetime

Ancient records show that beekeeping originated about 6,000 years ago in both China and Egypt

The average worker bee will fly approximately 500 miles before she wears out and dies

A hive can contain up to 70,000 bees in the middle of summer

This is a short list with many more facts to add

And the answer is . . . Jurgen Tauz, "The buzz about bees".
A good read and crammed with interesting facts.

Recommended as good reading by several forum members.

Recommended as good reading by several forum members.

I agree there ar lots of facts in his book but how do you actually find him to read on occasion I have found reading him quite confusing perhaps its his English or perhaps that of the translator which I find the problem.

Sir are you suggesting that I lifted the facts from published works and passed them on as my own a letter to the Times I think

Not in the least Tom, I actually thought it was 1/12 of a teaspoon. I don't know if you have more industrious bees or a smaller tea spoon. I don't think that Tauz mentioned China or Egypt either.

No, no not the Times letters column. :)

Blatant advert - If you haven't read it then Tom, I think the book will appeal to you. Lots of detail and food for thought.

It is slightly more readable than Hooper, but yes sometimes a bit more thought is required; an artifact of the translation as you said.

No worries Hombre just messing around actually took it from a local organization's website what a cheek.

I will get that book I need a new book to read

Cheers

Tom, I would like access to just a little of the instrumentation that the team used to track the bees.

Imagine taking even your weakest colony and having to cement rfid chips on every emerging bee. They must have been taking a percentage, or risked losing their eyesight/patience along the way.

You won't regret buying the book. It has some very good photography and more than enough to stimulate the mind.

Back