honey at 20% water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
so....am trying my food dehydrator on the honey i had which is recording at 20% water content

has anyone used or heard of using dehydrator for this purpose?

I’ve used a dehumidifier. Leaving the honey bucket lid adrift, but draped with polythene to prevent dust entry, in a small room, which worked well.

well....in terms of progress....i put it on at 35 degrees for a few hours yesterday and has reduced to 19%....may do same again

we had the food dehydrator anyway and just wondered why i hadnt seen anyone mention it....ie if there is a reason not to

so....am trying my food dehydrator on the honey i had which is recording at 20% water content
has anyone used or heard of using dehydrator for this purpose?

As I've previously posted, I place two canisters of calcium chloride in my warming cabinet if the water content of the honey is >18%. A couple of days at 32C usually reduces the reading to <18%
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threa...honey-desiccant-any-chemists-out-there.43370/
Subsequently I wondered if this process was responsible for creating 'scum/mousse' on the surface of the honey:
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/scum-curds-floating-on-honey-buckets-why.49642/
Since then I've decided that the CaCl2 has nothing to do with creating scum. Just a few days ago I warmed a small bucket of 2020 crystallised honey at 22%. About four days later it reads 18% and there's no scum.

Airing cupboard working gently. Has now reduced from 19.2 to 18.2. Seems to be losing about 0.5 a day stirring once daily. Keeping going for a couple of days more.

Whilst extracting this year my extractor broke and was out of action for a week. The extractor had frames that had been uncapped so the honey absorbed water and when extracted had a moisture content of 22%+
I put this honey into one of my honey warmers and over a couple of weeks reduced the MC to 18.5%. Unfortunately it appears that yeasts have got to it and it's fermenting by the look of the scum on it.
Apart from making mead can I do anything with it? Could I feed it to the bees?IMG_0735.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst extracting this year my extractor broke was out of action for a week. The extractor had frames that had been uncapped so the honey absorbed water and when extracted had a moisture content of 22%+
I put this honey into one of my honey warmers and over a couple of weeks reduced the MC to 18.5%. Unfortunately it appears that yeasts have got to it and it's fermenting by the look of the scum on it.
Appart from making mead can I do anything with it? Could I feed it to the bees?View attachment 28517
You have the opportunity to make a health giving delicacy .....

https://friendlycity.coop/fermented-garlic-honey/

Latest posts

Back