HomeMade Honey!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Saw this in a cruise ship brochure (**king river cruises). Quote from a happy customer.
"On a stroll around a local market, we also saw some fabulous food (I bought a jar of delicious homemade honey)".

A guy where I worked once commented " My gran makes better honey than your honey" :)
Turned out he was referring to Marmalade ! Still he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box :D
VM

"Cynic"

Laundered chinese is a possibility - or as suggested above it could be industrial invert sugar from eastern europe + pollen from health food shop + tetracyclin for a nice yellow colour. yum.

Interesting talk at surrey beek day back a month or two ago by a forensic palynologist.

cited case of a beek taken to task by local TS for labelling Honey as English but it having an Australian pollen profile. Turns out he kept his bees in local Uni Botanic garden!!!!

However more interestingly he explained that whilst you can filter local pollen out of honey and add foreign OR monofloral to increase value the problem is that the diatoms from the filter media are dead giveaway.

Am I missing something? Why is it so certain that it isn't just local honey such as produced by all you guys?

It's the home-made bit.

Produced locally, probably. But technically only home-made if you are a bee!!!

That I can agree with and found funny but most/all the replies assumed it was chinese /adulterated etc.

Yes - but if, by definition, it isn't being sold by a bee, then if the statement "homemade" is to be taken as a correct description of product, then one has to assume that it isn't natural local honey.

Presumably you can't put "homemade" on jar labels in UK.

Yes - but if, by definition, it isn't being sold by a bee, then if the statement "homemade" is to be taken as a correct description of product, then one has to assume that it isn't natural local honey.

Presumably you can't put "homemade" on jar labels in UK.

I have been assuming that the term homemade was the term chosen by the lady rather than something on the label. There doesn't appear to be any evidence that it was anything other than her words.

There is also the possibility of mistranslation. I just find it strange (or perhaps sad) that everyone automatically denigrates the product, on no more evidence than a quote taken at face value.

Latest posts

Back