home made wine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make loads of wine. It's great fun, healthier (I think) and cheaper than buying it. I find that even if you keep to exact recipes and times, one batch will never behave the same as another. There are too many other factors such as ambient temperature, yeast verses sugar reactions etc..

Wow.....I thought it was illegal to distill any alcohol without a licence. No more skulking around in the woods for me then! :cool:

Yes it is illegal without a licence ... best put the still back in the understairs cupboard and keep your distillation activities in the woods ...

Possibly, they were much stricter until a few years ago.
Sounds like your old 'gentleman' was probably one of the characters on our watchlist back when I was duty officer in Wales and the Borders. illicit distilling, as well as 'laundering' rebated diesel was rife in the marches

JBM the diesel sutuation still goes on now In the farming community.

It gets me how red diesel is cheaper than white as I'm lead to believe its only a die.

Sugar honey ice tea!! I better not say to much I might have a knock on the door!

I can see now why your a crabby pants sometimes having to deal with folk in your line of work before you retired :banghead::icon_204-2::sorry:

Last edited:
it gets me how red diesel is cheaper than white as I'm lead to believe its only a die.
It's called rebated diesel - because the fuel duty is reduced to make it cheaper for farmers and construction companies who primarily use their machinery on private land not the public highway.
Not 'only' a dye either there are other chemical markers in the diesel so that, even if the lowlifes have managed to remove the dye (filtering it through a loaf of bread was one method, fuller's earth another) a simple field laboratory test would flag us as to the nature. Road fuel Control vans are mobile field laboratories as well as interview rooms.

Thank you all, Afermo. following your advice, But sods law reading just on 1000,- but wine tastes lovely, just fizzy though not moving the trap water lock.. time to stop it and bottle up soon.. was a gift of masses of wine grapes last year..he is waiting for a bottle to try.. my 3 demijohns are sorted!

Latest posts

Back