Home made pollen patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
WHAT A DOGS EAROLE I HAVE MADE!!!!:svengo:

went out this morning and brought a 5 kilo bag of soya flour and a kilo of brewers yeast( freeze dried stuff) then went to the freezer and dug out my last bag of saved pollen (2 kg) I preffere to add a jar of honey or two if possible to help it taste better for the bees.

Anyway one big bucket and a mixer in the end of a big power drill and away we went, all the powders straight in apart from a half kilo of soya flour and we started with the water to wet every thing up, usual for me is a patty that is almost dry, certainly drier than peanut butter, but we went for the finman idea of it has to be there a week so we went for it with the water and the drill. Any way one big mix later and we are dropping this stuff into plastic bags so we can put them in the freezer roughly half a kilo in each bag, any way we went for a brew as you do:banghead:
and came back to what can only described as a foaming mountian of soya flour and yeast, it went every where, evan to dogs got coated in it, what a pigs ear ole i made of that lot, any way its all tidied up the wife is still not speaking to me:boxing_smiley: and the freezer has 20 bags of foam ready for the bees to eat:biggrinjester:

Which goes to show the recipe I was taught from the start of soya flour pollen and sugar mixed to a cake consistency has a bit of value in it, IF.......

If you can get the parts to mix. I am struggling both with soya and pollen.

I have to ask.... did it not occur that yeast would start to err.... do yeasty things?

PH

Hi All
Is there no commercial set up in this country making pollen patties. It seems like all the internet searches bring up is US or Canadian companies.

Regards Mike

Ha ha . . . There, that's out of the way HP. You obviously enjoyed your cup of tea. Didn't anyone ever tell you that you can be punished for enjoying yourself? I don't suppose that you fancy doing it again for an instructional video?

I suspect that there is a significant difference between "Brewers Yeast" and "Brewers Yeast Powder". I imagine, but don't know, that the latter is either Yeast that has been produced by drying at a high temperature (killing) the yeast, but retaining it's nutrients.

I also think that your pattie was destined to be rather moist. Normally one expects a pattie to have the consistency of a dough. The fluid content when I made them last year was 2:1 syrup and a trace of honey from a trusted local source (didn't have any of my own).

MikeTheBee mixes his up in a cement mixer. You are supposed to be able to form it into patties with your hands as if making bread rolls and then flatten it. So I suspect that you got the consistency wrong. I would like to think that I would have made a pilot batch of about 1kg to ensure that I had the technique right.

I take my hat off to you though for pointing out that everything is not as straight forward as it might appear at first reading of the recipe. Forgive me for my fits of laughter at your discomfiture, I thought it was priceless. :svengo:

I checked my patties last year, by giving them a little nibble. Take care that you have something that you would be happy to eat. I would hate to read later about bees full of gas and nuking your fellow allotment holders with super-yellow-rain. It might make their corriander unfit for sale.

Excellent you appear to have invented soya mousse, the pollen you can eat between meals.

Last edited:
Hope this helps Fin

I have seen that foam somewhere!

Lumikylpy.jpg

spoke to an older and wizer friend today , what i am use to and normaly use is brews ex yeast that is heat treated to prevent it ever becoming active again , where as i used bread making yeast grainules that went yeasty as soon as the water hit it

I have used living baking yeast (moist) and now living dried yeast.

Brewery yeast is killed.

If I wake up the dried yeast, it makes awfull odor in the house and in bee yeard too.

One day I leaft living yest + sugar syrup on dove and went to give patties to hives. The cooking pot was 10 litre. When I came in, only 3 litres was in the pot and the rest was foamed out of there.

Latest posts

Back