Home made moth traps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not do a bit of moth watching rather than trying to trap them. All you need is a light coloured sheet and a good torch or lamp. You can just hang the sheet up vertically (i.e. from a washing line) and light it up with the lamp or torch. The moths will obediently come and rest on the sheet so that you can admire them.

If you can manage it though, I think it's easier to look at them if you can make your sheet horizontal. One way of doing this is by pegging it taut between the backs of two chairs so that you have a sheet 'surface' and then putting the lamp underneath.

Of course you'd have to keep the kids up late - but I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;-) It would just be you suffering the next day!

drdrday;716842 said:
Why not do a bit of moth watching rather than trying to trap them. All you need is a light coloured sheet and a good torch or lamp. You can just hang the sheet up vertically (i.e. from a washing line) and light it up with the lamp or torch. The moths will obediently come and rest on the sheet so that you can admire them.

If you can manage it though, I think it's easier to look at them if you can make your sheet horizontal. One way of doing this is by pegging it taut between the backs of two chairs so that you have a sheet 'surface' and then putting the lamp underneath.

Of course you'd have to keep the kids up late - but I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;-) It would just be you suffering the next day!

Sounds like a easier option than making one.. I think the idea was to get them to help build the trap, it would give them some invaluable lessons in making something which would catch moths, and give them a sence of achievement.

Here you go ... if this kid can make one - anyone can ! I would use a battery lamp rather than a mains one though !

He's clearly destined for Blue Peter ... if he manages to keep enough fingers ....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back