home made fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. Have tried making fondant for the first time and have followed posted recipies (Granulated sugar, glucose, water) and you tube videos - In spite of this I have not been overly successful - (still pretty fluid - will never form a solid but pliable consistency) I have a packet of fondant icing sugar (contents on packet say Icing sugar and dried glucose syrup) could I use this to make my own fondant. Also they do sell ready made fondant in the supermarkets (but some have added ingrediants ) would these be suitable?
I have asked in cake shops but with no success. Thanks .

Your only failing is:

A little too much water.

Or too low a boiling temperature.

Or not to 'soft ball' test stage.

All three are one and the same, but dependant on the recipe (and test method) used.

Bought-in fondant is available competitively from Baker's suppliers usually.

Up here, I use Friar's Pride in Peterborough. Bako are a National company, I believe.

Supplied as a 12.5kg block in a plastic wrap, in a cardboard box.

RAB

Iv only ever managed to make some thing resembling a brick or a runny mess until I watcher Rostis video in the video section. Try looking and that and following his method. I did and even I managed to make fondant.
find it in in general video page two

Hi. Have tried making fondant for the first time and have followed posted recipies (Granulated sugar, glucose, water) and you tube videos - In spite of this I have not been overly successful ...

What were you using for temperature measurement?

Iv only ever managed to make some thing resembling a brick or a runny mess until I watcher Rostis video in the video section. Try looking and that and following his method. I did and even I managed to make fondant.
find it in in general video page two

:iagree:
Worked first time for me, and will be making more the same this year.

Bought-in fondant is available competitively from Baker's suppliers usually.

I'm inclined to agree. For weights in the tens of kilos, I'd guess bought-in baker's fondant must be about £2/kg delivered? I'd estimate the raw ingredients to make it yourself must be about £1.50/kg, and then there's the time, gas/electricity etc. which will push it closer to the bought-in figure.

For a small weight the price for ready-made is much higher and it probably makes sense to make it yourself, but if I needed more I think I'd let my mouse do the shopping and look for something more productive to do with my time.

James

I pay £13.00 for a box 12.5kg
The mess i made trying to make it was unreal.But might have another go when my partner is out:D

our association bought a load of fondant this year - cost us 10 quid for a 12.5 kilo box - luccky I suppose their local depot is five minutes from the apiary. Even if it was a bit more expensive it's a lot less mess and hassle than making your own

Yes, if you can find enough people to buy with, so you're getting up into the 100s of kgs then it really does reinforce the idea that the only time it makes sense to make your own is if you only need a few kg and you can't get a decent size order together with others. Or because you just enjoy doing it, which is as good a reason as any to my mind.

I'm not desperately keen to open a hive up and start pulling out frames at this time of year, but given the mild weather I'm getting a little concerned that the bees might well be raising brood until way later than is really viable given the dwindling forage thereby robbing themselves of winter stores, so I might have to just to find out what's going on. A stock of fondant would at least be some kind of insurance policy.

James

Thanks for all replies. Definatly had the mixture to the soft ball stage - so not sure why it all went downhill from there. What are your thoughts on the fondant icing sugar??? If that works and is o.k. for the bees it is certainly a much easier option for making your own. Also ready roll icing ?

There is a degree of balance required between evaportating and heating. You need a certain amount of fluid to dissolve the solids (more so if you use powdered glucose). You are aiming to heat through to about 115-117 evenly but at a rate that drives off sufficent moisture to form the fondant without risking too much HMF, without a decent temp probe it's difficult, the balling in water test takes an awful lot of skill / judgement / reaction - that I dont have! hence my reliance on a decent probe. Complete solublisation, even progressive heating and prompt cooling back is the key IMO.

Much easier in a maslin (Jam-making) pan, wider and proportionately shallower than a saucepan and with a thicker bottom, so it can take more heat and get there faster. But I couldn't do it without a thermometer.

Much easier in a maslin (Jam-making) pan, wider and proportionately shallower than a saucepan and with a thicker bottom, so it can take more heat and get there faster. But I couldn't do it without a thermometer.

thicker bottom also cools down slower!

Back