Home-made clearing board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Sort of forgot to buy a clearing board, so made my own and very pleased with it- started with the idea of the canadian board from Ted Hooper, then refined with help from Dave Cushman's site.

50mm space one side, 20mm the other (hoping I can use it for apiguard with the hole blocked). The final escape tunnel 12mm deep (cause that's what wood I had) by 8mm wide (thickness of a pencil). The mesh is for repairing car bodywork- the length of the escape is down to the size of the mesh, or I would have made it a bit longer.

However, it cleared 2 supers in about 3 hours, so that'll do for me.:)

Looks good, nice and simple.....the kind of thing i could manage. Thanks for the pics :)

it looks lovely an inspitation to us all

Sorry but one major improvement... half the escape and put it in diagonally opposite corners.

Much better, same cost and better effect.

PH

Also make,and use something very similar...when not using a blower.

Why don't the bees find their way out again?

I know I could probably find the answer online or in a book, but was hoping one of you that had made one would oblige :)

Thanks
Simon

Why don't the bees find their way out again?

Simon

The answer is, they do- if you give them long enough to work it out. These boards work quickly, but they have to. If you're going to leave it on for longer, use porter escapes.

anyone tried the triangular maze type configuration?

Yes, I made one, tried it and was surprised by how quickly the super was cleared. I lent it to an old-time beekeeper who previously only used Porter escapes. He was so impressed by it I told him to keep it, and I made myself another one.

Hi Mike, do you lend money, I am easily impressed and am interested in your generosity . . . :)

I shake the bees off and pop them into another box.

anyone tried the triangular maze type configuration?

Yes, I made one, tried it and was surprised by how quickly the super was cleared. I lent it to an old-time beekeeper who previously only used Porter escapes. He was so impressed by it I told him to keep it, and I made myself another one.

I also built and used a vortex clearer board, and I have made improvements to the design to make it easier to make using the same principle.

Plans attached as a pdf.

Yours Roy

Here's a couple of pics of one of my own clearer boards. In warm weather these have cleared individual supers in just under 2 hours, but normally I leave them on 24 hours.

I only had to pay for the ply, nails and glue, and the postage cost for the mesh samples. The rest of the timber was cut down from old floor boards. I made them about 90mm deep to handle the exodus of bees.

View attachment 2265

View attachment 2266

I know this might sound like a stupid question. But does the depth of the board that they are clearing into make much difference? If it does what is the general depth i should make mine. Have some at 20mm deep and they clear in 2 -4 hours. I assume the depth is needed because of the congestion with so many bees?

I assume the depth is needed because of the congestion with so many bees?

Exactly that. Traditional porter boards just have a normal bee space. I've seen 35mm recommended on Canadians to allow room for the rush. Mine was 50mm because that was the size of timber I had.

I was looking at the plans for the triangular one on Dave Cusmans' site and just did'nt get how it would fit. You'll have to show me yours Mike !!

Hi Wojciech,
Couldn't resist an invitation like that:) The lighter bits on the pictures are where I had fixed 3 old CDs to help ease the congestion - they didn't last!! The rim is 30mm deep cos that is the first bit of wood that came to hand.

It's also a good idea to paint it a distinct colour so when you look at your hives they stand out and you dinna forget one.......

PH

Hi Wojciech,
Couldn't resist an invitation like that:) The lighter bits on the pictures are where I had fixed 3 old CDs to help ease the congestion - they didn't last!! The rim is 30mm deep cos that is the first bit of wood that came to hand.

Thanks for the pics - make it much clearer than just the diagram in Dave Cushmans site. I was puzzled because other types being square fit clearly under the super but I couldn't understand where the triangle fitted.

Wojciech

Latest posts

Back