Home Heating Oil & Beeswax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I keep wet supers stored in my garage. Each super is wrapped in a plastic bag.

The garage also houses our oil boiler. The boiler is being replaced soon as it is quite old and has been smelling strongly of oil.

Could the odor from the oil affect the wax in any way? The supers are stacked next to the garage door so there is ventilation.

Thanks

Hello all,

I keep wet supers stored in my garage. Each super is wrapped in a plastic bag.

The garage also houses our oil boiler. The boiler is being replaced soon as it is quite old and has been smelling strongly of oil.

Could the odor from the oil affect the wax in any way? The supers are stacked next to the garage door so there is ventilation.

Thanks
If the boiler is smelling of oil I'd suggest you have a fuel leak. Likely to be visible along the fuel filter, pipes and connections but can also be problem with the fuel pump shaft seal or on some riello burners the air damper is operated by a hydraulic ram which can leak around the shaft. All relatively simple to cure at much less cost than replacing the boiler.
Worth considering that each litre of kerosine contains 10.3 kWh of energy and current price is in the region of 65 pence per litre (varies with season). A well adjusted oil boiler should be somewhere in the region of 75 to 95 percent efficient.

If the boiler is smelling of oil I'd suggest you have a fuel leak. Likely to be visible along the fuel filter, pipes and connections but can also be problem with the fuel pump shaft seal or on some riello burners the air damper is operated by a hydraulic ram which can leak around the shaft. All relatively simple to cure at much less cost than replacing the boiler.
Worth considering that each litre of kerosine contains 10.3 kWh of energy and current price is in the region of 65 pence per litre (varies with season). A well adjusted oil boiler should be somewhere in the region of 75 to 95 percent efficient.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back