Holiday oct 4 :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I'm going to the Florida on this date for 2 wks :party:
I have not yet started to fed for the winter or treat ( i'm going Hivemakers route with thymol) for varroa. I take it leaving it to i come back is too late and there for will have to do this before i go.
Remember i live on the Island and it is normally milder here :)
Do you think i could do this in mid Sept or is that pushing things a bit?

Thanks for any help
Wightbees

Get it all done before you go away Sept will be fine. Dont do mine sometimes till middle of October due to balsam flow.

Thanks veg
Do you think middle of sept will be ok or start earlier ?

You should be ok.
People tend to go on about the outside temperature for using apiguard but it confuses me as the inside temp of a hive is supposed to be more or less constant so what differnce would it make?

Last edited:
I have never thought of that.

:cheers2:

With a bit of luck someone will let us know why the outside temp matters. I guess it is so the apiguard will vaporise better.

Feeding on your return may be too late. Likely won't, but can you take the chance - no you can't!

Insulation, particularly over the colony, is good for thymol treatments - nights can start to get chilly and the medication is outside the broodnest.

Regards, RAB

To be on the safe side WB, I could take your place in Florida while you carefully tend your bees.
You probably won`t enjoy it anyway it`s all just swamps and crocodiles :coolgleamA:

To be on the safe side WB, I could take your place in Florida while you carefully tend your bees.
You probably won`t enjoy it anyway it`s all just swamps and crocodiles :coolgleamA:

Alligators Darren, alligators.

Thats very kind of you Darren.
But i have to go my partner said so. :D
I might look up a bee shop over there and see if theres any bargins to be had.
The suitcase weight is good as its 48kg per person, well my 3 little ones are going and theres no way they will need that much each :D

thanks for the info :cheers2:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back