Holes in hive...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver88

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I've just got back from a week away, to find the garden covered in an inch of beautiful snow. I though i'd have a quick look at my hive to check it wasn't too berried and found that there were a couple of large holes in the side. One was almost big enough to get my hand through, and inside the frames had been shreaded. There's also another hole thats been started.

Some of my bees have survived, although a lot of dead bees are being moved out. I've whipped of ruined part, and am about to put some more feed on them.

In the base of the hive, below the wire mesh where i slide a board to check varroa count has also been noored at.

I'm just wondering whats likely to have done this? Are wood peckers the most likly suspects? Im going to build a chicken-wire surround, but was looking for any advice as to what it might be, and how best to stop it!

Many Thanks!

Without knowing the materials of construction it might be too easy to just say woodpeckers.

RAB

PS is the 88 year of birth or is it a model?

Oliver90

Would woodpeckers nibble under the hive? Or could it be rats or similar? Woodys tend to hold on and peck ahead of them or jab at the ground. I have never seen one peck upwards from the ground...and we have a lot of peckers!

If you haven't tramped all over the snow there may well be some clear clues on the surface. Rats leave good footmarks and their droppings are another good indicator.

PH

This is an oliver 88.

I know. I don't have one of those. 60s(2), 70s(1) 80s(5) and 90s (2), yes. All in different formats.

Regards, RAB

Chain Bridge Apiary nr. Berwick on Tweed has a good collection of old tractors and other farm implements

This is an oliver 88.

I know. I don't have one of those. 60s(2), 70s(1) 80s(5) and 90s (2), yes. All in different formats.

Regards, RAB

and i always sumized that the 90 might referr to a Landrover 90 being the correct name for the SWB landrover defender before they renamed it in 1990

( i have a 1986 landrover 90 in bits in my garage, why did i ever try to fit a new engine my self :banghead:)

This is an oliver 88.

Regards, RAB

and i always summised that the 90 might refer to a Landrover 90 being the correct name for the SWB landrover defender before they renamed it in 1990

( i have a 1986 landrover 90 in bits in my garage, why did i ever try to fit a new engine my self :banghead:)

Latest posts

Back