Hobbies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think my profile picture might give my other passion away - but like everyone else Covid has stopped most things. But I also build guitars, and lots of woodworking in general

Gardening is my other main hobby and also my employment. I love learning, so reading rates very highly. Not a hobby, but keeping my children on the straight and narrow fills most days. I also, have an excellent sideline in worrying!
Do you have a schnauzer?

Too many is my answer ..
Woodturning & working in wood generally
DIY (Less of a hobby - more a necessity)
Jams, Preserves & Chutney making
Making cakes
Sailing
Allotment
Gardening
Cars and Motorcycles (old ones)
Silversmithing
Home Brewing and wine making
Reading
Inventing
Renovating, repurposing and renewing things - leads to below
Hoarding stuff and lost causes
Watching TV Programmes that nobody else admits to .. usually found high up in Freeview channels
Watching classic and not so classic Old films
WORK (Well .. it's more of a hobby these days)
'er indoors

Not necessarily in that order.

I also have an interest in:
Cheese making
Smoking and preserving meats
A wormery
Distilling essential oils

Unfortunately, at present, my last official hobby is preventing me from developing anything more than an academic interest in these .... but I have a cunning plan ....
Wow, how do you fit in time to sleep 😀

Making bee eqpt / woodworking always fancied myself as a Robert Thompson
Genealogy nearly turned it into my job at one point
just starting out with watchmaking been wanting to do it since 1990
shooting for the table & pest control for farmers

Salutes to all the gardeners & geneology people.

I've found that doing stuff like backyard agriculture would help me relax from the day job. And then over time I started to explore thinking like...wait, I could do this 'hobby' for a job, if I just transition it slowly over time. (But I was able to get to that mindset from eliminating TV, and distractions.)

I hope the rest of you can be successful and make things work.

If the world really does have over 7 billion people in it, there should be enough room for you to be beekeepers and make that interest a job, over time. (And for all of us to make it.) The ones that don't want to do stuff like this and that don't know how to grow their own food or bees vastly outnumber us.

Another audax cyclist here, need to get back into it as tailed off from a couple of London-Edinburgh-London's to no 200km ride for 2 years. Need to cycle to counteract the calories from other hobbies; homebrewing and cooking. Like hiking and river fishing too.

I’m loving how diverse everyone’s interests are. My hobbies tend to shift on a regular basis (I’m definitely not a master of anything and probably never will be):

- Marine aquarium: as frustrating as beekeeping, but keeps me occupied in the colder months.

- Shooting: both rifle and shotgun, though I only participate in target shooting.

- Fishing: I love Tenkara, it’s like fly fishing, but without a reel.

- Miniature painting: A legacy hobby from childhood.

- Permaculture: We are trying to become much more self sufficient, though we want to do this in a sustainable way.

- Falconry: I don’t have my own bird, but I help a couple of local chaps out when I get chance.

Keep hens
Ride motorcycles (track, trials and hard enduro)
Trustee for a charity (Home | Humanity First )
Am a tour guide at Britain's Biggest Mosque (if you are ever in Morden and fancy a look at one of 50 best modern buildings let me know)
Baitul Futuh Mosque - Wikipedia

make time for the bee's tho !

Last edited:
Gardening- two allotments and the actual garden and alongside the bees I also have chickens. Indoors I've got a fair selection of orchids and nepenthes too.
Inventing stuff for the garden- I'm sure this counts as a separate hobby. Latest venture is a geodesic greenhouse.
Triathlon- why be good at one sport when you can be mediocre at 3! I'm good at the swimming, awful at the cycling and reasonable at running. All of the 2020 events were rolled over to this year, so it will be a busy one!
Scuba diving
Lampwork glass- my creative hobby, I have a blow torch plumbed in and get to melt glass, only small scale things- beads and marbles.

I do like to pick all the expensive hobbies.

We did have two Wilson and lily, but just lily now 13, fabulous characters
They are great characters - we’ve had two standards in the past.
I can recommend the book the book “Following Atticus” by Tom Ryan. Atticus was a mini and the two of them went mountain climbing! (Not rock face but trails)
Like in the book, my schnauzer had to walk in front of me and watching his ears flap up and down as he walked always made me happy somehow.

Last edited:
Mountaineering and rock climbing, cycling (on and off road ), wood turning, astrophotography, fishing (mostly kayak based for pike, bass and tope but also fly for trout and grayling, river bank for barbel). Used to run a lot but knackered ankle.
Jack of all trades, master of none!

Obviously, I love my bees dearly, but I also, like many people grow veg. I also like gentle pursuits such as knitting, crochet and sewing. I'm going to try my luck with watercolour painting soon, but the thing that takes up by far the majority of my spare time is killing other players in a virtual warzone in PUBG (pronounced pub gee) mobile!

This short video will give you an idea of what it's all about :LOL:

Back