Hivetrack software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A clever application but like all online services what happens if they suddenly decide to pull the plug? It doesn't look as if you can download your data so all your records are held elsewhere. Even if you could download your data the application itself sits on their server so the data itself would not be a huge amount of use or at best would take a lot of effort to recover and sort out.

Personally I am really looking forward to a version that I can use on my iPad and iPhone.

There are many services that could go offline anytime that we all use. This forum for example.

I do like the idea of holding my own data. As I think it was mentioned that you can export it as a cvs format it should be pretty easy to import into excel or similar spreadsheet application.

I'm always looking for new ideas, and I have found another one here

http://tinyurl.com/38je3jb

It's American, but it seems to be able to cope with UK stuff (except for date format).

Have a look and see what you think?

Yours Roy

Looks good on the PC screen, and I think I prefer their inspection entry methods, but as RT says no apparent downloading unlike Beetight, and also not as mobile friendly. Think I'll be stickling with Beetight for the moment.

Now, I actually prefer this to BeeTight (although I have bought it) :)

See below the feedback I have just sent them

Yours Roy

I’ve just created an account as a test, and I have to following comments so far –

Initial impression is it’s very good

But here are the buglets that I have found

• 1. I’m in the UK and our dates are in the format dd/mm/yy
    • a. Could you add an option to select your own date format please?
    • b. Same applies to temp, we use °C here
  • 2. Frame count – why is it restricted to 10, I have 12 frames in the brood all my hives?
  • 3. When you create a second apiary
    • a. Create a new hive
    • b. the GPS location is copied from your first apiary, not from the apiary the hive is at
  • 4. Weather
    • a. At my second apiary, I can get the weather info on the weather tab
    • b. The validate GPS is ok on the yard info tab
    • c. It says ‘weather unavailable’ on My Yards
  • 5. Honey
    • a. Needs an option to distinguish between honey supers that have wired or unwired foundation
    • b. Doesn’t seem to be any way to record honey yield
  • 6. Bee Source
    • a. If ‘split’ is chosen – you should be able to choose the parent hive
    • b. If ‘acquired’, ‘package’, or ‘nuc’ is chosen – need to be able to add the source
  • 7. Hive hardware
    • a. Could you include a ‘clearer board’ please?
Overall I find it easy to use and it records the info well, please keep up the good work.

Last edited:
I've also invited them to join in with this thread.

but we will have to wait until the afternoon when they get up :)

Yours Roy

I'm always looking for new ideas, and I have found another one here

http://tinyurl.com/38je3jb

It's American, but it seems to be able to cope with UK stuff (except for date format).

Have a look and see what you think?

Yours Roy

Hi UK friends. I'm the developer and cofounder of Hive tracks. After our initial release in August 2010 we're getting some real traction now. We were featured in a product review in Bee Culture Magazine in November and are planning a major upgrade before the end of the year. We have some to work to do to better support international users (we're based in the mountains of North Carolina... Sourwood country!) but are working hard to get that done. Since Hive Tracks is FREE to its users we are uninhibited in asking for links, promotions and good will from forums like this so THANK YOU and please tell your friends and beekeeping clubs about us and know that there is more coming in Hive Tracks... much more.

Now, I actually prefer this to BeeTight (although I have bought it) :)

See below the feedback I have just sent them

Yours Roy

I’ve just created an account as a test, and I have to following comments so far –

Initial impression is it’s very good

But here are the buglets that I have found

• 1. I’m in the UK and our dates are in the format dd/mm/yy
    • a. Could you add an option to select your own date format please?
    • b. Same applies to temp, we use °C here
  • 2. Frame count – why is it restricted to 10, I have 12 frames in the brood all my hives?
  • 3. When you create a second apiary
    • a. Create a new hive
    • b. the GPS location is copied from your first apiary, not from the apiary the hive is at
  • 4. Weather
    • a. At my second apiary, I can get the weather info on the weather tab
    • b. The validate GPS is ok on the yard info tab
    • c. It says ‘weather unavailable’ on My Yards
  • 5. Honey
    • a. Needs an option to distinguish between honey supers that have wired or unwired foundation
    • b. Doesn’t seem to be any way to record honey yield
  • 6. Bee Source
    • a. If ‘split’ is chosen – you should be able to choose the parent hive
    • b. If ‘acquired’, ‘package’, or ‘nuc’ is chosen – need to be able to add the source
  • 7. Hive hardware
    • a. Could you include a ‘clearer board’ please?
Overall I find it easy to use and it records the info well, please keep up the good work.

[FONT=&quot]Here is their reply -
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hi Roy:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks so much for the excellent input. Our support of users outside the US has been in play for just a few weeks so we have some work to do in that area.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here are the things I can get done quickly (these are bugs):[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Allow for 12 frame hives[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Default GSP location from yard containing the hive[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These will take a bit of time:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Allow users to choose date formats[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Allow users to choose temperature units[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are features we already have planned but are not yet done:[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Record honey yields[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Add more components[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Manage splits[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Manage hive sources[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Printed reports on yard state, inspections, equipment usage and more[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot]Export these reports to local Excel, PDF and Word files[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We do support a way to describe the type of frames in a hive (wired, plastic, etc.) That is done in inspections. What we don’t support is an icon that represents those types and that is something we should consider adding.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks again for taking the time to write. Please keep in touch and know that a new round of very useful updates is coming before the end of the year. You will receive an e-mail when that update is posted and ready for use.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cheers,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark Henson[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cofounder of Hive Tracks[/FONT]

Despite only having one hive, I have registered for both and completed beetight.com as it is exactly what I had wanted and didn't realise existed. Had so far recorded a handful of inspections for varroa drop on Google docs.

I am confused here as my previous post hee was in relation to beetight and not hive track.

Where in your previous post did you mention beetight?......this thread appears to be mostly about hive track, looking at the OP.
I believe there is a beetight thread on the go as well though, somewhere..

Last edited:
If you look up (no, not at the sky) you will notice our wonderful admin has split the thread, and added new sections for Beekeeping Software :)

Oh wonderful admin :hurray:

Yours Roy

Indeed the thread has been split and moved which is a really good idea. Just can't find the part which was referring to beetight earlier.

Just had a quick play with the hivetracks. Seems OK.

But at the risk of being called a neanderthal (as if ...) - what does it do that an exercise book and pen can't? I ask because my exercise book and pen are rather more portable than my computer.:blush5:

But at the risk of being called a neanderthal (as if ...) - what does it do that an exercise book and pen can't? I ask because my exercise book and pen are rather more portable than my computer.:blush5:

Horses for courses. I'm sure that many, probably most are like you.

I still use paper and pen to record number of brood etc while inspecting, but then transpose them to the PC. With beetight you can of course also enter the data there and then and forget about pen and paper, though personally I find that a bit of a bind.

Reasons I prefer using software include

a)I like the clarity you get from not relying on reading smudged scribbles with dead wasps and grass stains weeks after the event

b) its a bonus to be able to add and view inspections the following day at work

c) Bit of a geek

Latest posts

Back