Hives Stolen in Purbrook, Hampshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NZ doesn't seem to worry too much - this apiary is next to a main road. Thats the road fence in the foreground (nicely located for some manuka too...) This guy has at least two apiaries about this size within 5 miles of each other.

I think also plenty of people over hear also don’t worry to much I get a good view of 10+ hives from the M3 on my travels.

Im really sorry to hear, read the other thread also.

When I put my hives out in a non secure location, im going to mark them with Smartwater.

Its available through Neighbourhood watch.

Once its on your hands and clothing it doesnt come off.

Its unique, used by the Police to catch criminals also

Smartwater will not stop the hives being stolen. It is only of any use if someone gets caught with the stolen equipment, and it is way down the list on the priority list of the local plod.

I agree, but you can check easily if you see equipment for sale.

Its a deterrent

Does anyone brand their hives / brand their frames? I user a router to etch my name in my hives, but I suspect thieves would simply burn them, having moved them into nucs. I wonder if branding frames might be useful, but probably too late by the time they've been nicked.

Only other thing i could think to do was mark them somewhere less obvious, and hope the bee inspector picked up on it?

Adam

Regarding the name and address on the Honey label.
This should be either the Suppliers (Beekeepers) address
or the Distributors (Shop, Wholesaler etc) address.

The purpose of this is so that customers or Health officials can track the Honey back to its source in the event of a problem.

If you can find someone that is willing to stand as 'Distributor' and have their name and address on the label then the problem is solved.
Having their name on the jar maybe Free advertising for the person concerned.

A follow on from this is the advise to have Lot numbers on your Honey Jars,
so that if a 'Damaged' batch of honey is reported you will only have to chase up that 'Lot'

Does anyone brand their hives / brand their frames? I user a router to etch my name in my hives, but I suspect thieves would simply burn them, having moved them into nucs. I wonder if branding frames might be useful, but probably too late by the time they've been nicked.
Adam

I agree Adam.
Sadly its the Bees these folk are after.
The Hives have probably already been burned, and probably the frames as well.

8 Hives split into small nukes (3 from each Hive) = 24 nukes
at £200 each
= a lot of money.

However I shall still 'Mark' my frames and 'Brand' the Hives in the hope that should such an event happen again,
and the b@&$$@&d$ are caught, my chances of retrieval are increased.

Have you moved your hive stands?

Ive just been past your field and can see your Hive stands next to each other near the fence next to the gate

They were still accross the field last time I drove past

Dont know if they have been moved by you or if someone is lining them up to grab them!!

Hi All, Sorry to here about your stolen hives, does any one brand thier hives and equipment, most of you have a blow lamp so heat a metal bar and brand your hives, suppers, crown boards, roofs and floores with a word or something as it is quite dificult to erase

Have you moved your hive stands?

Ive just been past your field and can see your Hive stands next to each other near the fence next to the gate

They were still accross the field last time I drove past

Dont know if they have been moved by you or if someone is lining them up to grab them!!

Thanx for your concern, we are getting ready to move the last few to our new site.

Yours Roy

Back