Hives Stolen in Purbrook, Hampshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Well what else can I say................ Someone stole eight out of ten of our hives from the apiary. We managed to rescue the last two, but it's hell of a hit. So much for this years plans................. Yours Roy & Steve (steve1958)

I dont know what to say Roy,this happened along the Meon valley last year.

Give me a ring tomorow or pop in for a cupa if you have time.

Mark.

Really sorry to hear that Roy.
I hope the two you rescued are ok.

Darren.

So sorry to hear that Roy & Steve nothing I can say that will help but hope you can get back up to strength sap.

Sorry to hear that Roy & Steve.

Can you give us any more info of what to look out for?

Hive type - hive, queen or frame markings - Bee strain etc etc

So I can pass this on to our association sec to email every one to firstly keep an eye on their hives and of course if they are offered colonies what to look for.

PM me any useful info and contact info and I'll pass it on.

Theiving b-------- mines just about shotgun range from my house seems nothings safe

Thanks for your kind thoughts everyone.
I guess this is one of those times that only another Beekeeper really understands the loss involved.
We have given a lot of time and care in looking after these little insects
(not to mention lots of money - though dont tell my missus).
So to have someone come and remove them in this way is both upsetting and painful

potential solution

perhaps it might be prudent in these days of bee thefts to use motion sensor alarm locks on all hives - you can get them for <£15 and they could either be locked inside the roof, locking roof to brood box or to external straps.

Until i joined this forum i had no idea that people stole bees, has anyone ever been caught. I would like to know what sort of person would stoop so low,are they beeks or just some one out for a fast buck = stolen to order.

Roy/Steve very sorry for your loss, i just hope who ever did this was stung lots of times in the most painfull place possible.

Wouldn't it be really sad if whoever stole them,or any others come to that, got stung, had a severe reaction and died. How tragic...:reddevil:

Someone asked me if they were insured.
'Sadly not' was my reply. 'Its hard to find a company that will insure something left out in the middle of a field all year'.
However
On a brighter note, I do have public liability insurance.
So if one of the folk that stole my Bees does get stung and die,
his family can sue me for millions.

And in this world with our present law system they would probably win !!

Until i joined this forum i had no idea that people stole bees, has anyone ever been caught. I would like to know what sort of person would stoop so low,are they beeks or just some one out for a fast buck = stolen to order.

HP had hives taken- read all about it here http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6541 He put in some very impressive detective work, followed by a distinctly unimpressive response from the authorities.

Someone asked me if they were insured.
'Sadly not' was my reply. 'Its hard to find a company that will insure something left out in the middle of a field all year'.
However
On a brighter note, I do have public liability insurance.
So if one of the folk that stole my Bees does get stung and die,
his family can sue me for millions.

And in this world with our present law system they would probably win !!

They'd have a job proving it was from your bees. Wouldn't it be nice to gatecrash the wake? Raise a glass or two to the b*****d.......

A e-mail from PDBKA today

W A R N I N G – S T O L E N H I V E S!

One of our members who had hives sited on Purbrook Heath, reports that they have been stolen. Thieves appear to have broken through the hedge and moved a total of 8 National hives complete with Bees mostly on 14 x 12 frames.

Should you suffer from such an unfortunate experience, please report it to the Country Watch Police Control, based at North Walls Winchester, telephone number is 07901 102255 or 08450454545, extension 631124.
It may not get the hives back but it adds to the info about hives theft in Hants.

If you keep your hives in a remote location you would be advised to distinctly mark all your equipment.

Latest posts

Back