Hives stolen Denmead Hampshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worldsend

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Two hives stolen in Denmead Hampshire -approx 2 miles from the location of Gingernuts theft as reported on the Forum earlier this month

Old commercial hives, one on a very full double brood box

Owned by very elderly beekeeper -and looked after by me due to his very frail health

Stolen in the last two weeks, Empty supers stacked and left in situe so at a glance gave the appearance that all was well

Only just visible from footpath so must have been someone who knew where they were and they must have carried them to the road as no vehicle access

Has been reported to Police and I will speak to the country side officer tomorrow. Will also post to a number of local associations websites for info

Has anyone found a connection yet with the local hive thefts ?
There has to be one !!!

There has to be one !!!

I agree, there really must be. Need Africanised bee's in Hampshire to deter thieves.

Lets assume that there was more than one person involved, that there was at least one vehicle, and that at least one of the b******* was a beekeeper and knew what he was doing.

to many winter kill offs or he has to many orders for sprinng nucs.

when you think that once someone is more than 15 miles away finding localy hidden bees must be very hard. or that these people have had some dealings with each other that links them together

I sat pondering upon the same thought.
Surely there must be a link.
However, all I ended up doing was making myself feel paranoid that another local Beekeeper was out to steal from me.

Sadly there are new Beekeepers that will willingly buy Bees from a 'Supplier' no questions asked.

to many winter kill offs or he has to many orders for sprinng nucs.

when you think that once someone is more than 15 miles away finding localy hidden bees must be very hard. or that these people have had some dealings with each other that links them together

Yep, that makes sense.

You would like to think that these people wouldn't ordinarily steal hives, but maybe 100% or near 100% losses of their own stocks has made them more desperate. And/or thieving geezer has promised a few spring nucs to people.

Split 3 ways, at least, and sold off as nucs is a jolly good earner. Possibly selling into Essex for new beeks? (they seem to favour commercial brood frames more than others).

Just surprised, if these are all commercials that are being stolen... there can't be that many using commercials, even over a 'widish' local area.

RAB

Split 3 ways, at least, and sold off as nucs is a jolly good earner. Possibly selling into Essex for new beeks? (they seem to favour commercial brood frames more than others).

Just surprised, if these are all commercials that are being stolen... there can't be that many using commercials, even over a 'widish' local area.

RAB

Depends. I'd think people would shake them onto fresh frames. Even if you saw someone advertising a few commercial nucs, if they were a beekeeper they'd simple say they had a spare or two.

Adam

There has to be one !!!
What about a year book with all the address of every local beekeeper that you get from your local Association

Last edited:
What about a year book with all the address of every local beekeeper that you get from your local Association

That was my thought but some of the hives have been taken from out apiaries.

That was my thought but some of the hives have been taken from out apiaries.

I'm not sure if anyone else uses 'e' bees for distribution of their club newsletters (maybe only newsletter secretaries are using it mostly), but I'm always surprised of the number of newsletters that get posted out with detailed instructions of club apiaries, with OS map references, postcodes etc. Although it goes to all club members, if they use e-bees, it immediately goes nationwide to all the others.

Adam

Six hives stolen in Co.Durham near Yarm Australian langstroth design cleated boxes three full depth boxes on each hive painted brown ish secured with Australian emlock fasteners,carnica bees.

I was wondering if the insurance company held all these details? Wouldn't be the first time that a clerk in the insurance office had passed over confidential details to crooks.

in the very few cases of theft i have had to deal with most were by people who knew me or had seen me at work, there was two that was oppurtinic theft.

i would start to list any and all you can think of that knew or the gentleman in question and who knew you had bees and then think of secondry level information. ie you talk to bob, mary the bar maid over hears and tells bill.

look inwards first then start looking out wards.

but above all have 100kg of concrete as a hive stand and screw the floor and brood box to it

Latest posts

Back