Hives re-queening new queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Once or twice every year I'll see a new virgin queen go out, mate and start laying up.

'Great' I think job done.

A few weeks later I'll find swarm cells and no sign of the queen.

I'm curious how often other people see this and are there any practical things I can do to reduce it or do the girls simply think the new queen isn't up to the job?

I'm curious how often other people see this and are there any practical things I can do to reduce it or do the girls simply think the new queen isn't up to the job?

Quite often actually...but I've found that it tends to be related more to the state of the colony (the balance of brood/workers within it). In a similar post, I talked about the absence of young brood making the bees panic a bit and make queen cells as an insurance policy against this new queen failing. They are often torn down once the queen gets going but you probably shouldn't rely on it. If it was me, I would go back after a week and destroy any started cells they had made.

I'll often see fresh play cups made on the first frames a new queen lays up . Most never even get an egg in them. I knock them down if I see them but have never found a sealed one they were actually serious about.

I've had pretty much the same thing. This is my first year. All was going great. Green dot queen mysteriously vanished. Emergency queen cell worked a treat. New queen spotted. Few weeks later started laying. Last inspection emergency/supercedure cells on 2 frames and queen has vanished. What is going on. Frustrating.

I've had pretty much the same thing. This is my first year. All was going great. Green dot queen mysteriously vanished. Emergency queen cell worked a treat. New queen spotted. Few weeks later started laying. Last inspection emergency/supercedure cells on 2 frames and queen has vanished. What is going on. Frustrating.

What was the interval between the last two inspections?
could you have damaged the queen?
Were the QCs emergency or supersedure?

I am sure I didn't damage the queen. When I realised there was a new queen I left the hive for a couple of weeks. On return there was capped brood on 2 frames. And some larvae. No queen and emergency cells on both frames.
I am probably not experienced enough to know the difference between emergency and supercedure.

I am sure I didn't damage the queen. When I realised there was a new queen I left the hive for a couple of weeks. On return there was capped brood on 2 frames. And some larvae. No queen and emergency cells on both frames.
I am probably not experienced enough to know the difference between emergency and supercedure.

Supersedure cells are one or two only and the same age. They can be anywhere but are made from play cups and the area underneath them is sculpted away by the bees. Emergency cells are dotted about all over the face of the frames and being made on worker cells appear smaller. There are usually lots
Have look here
http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/There-Are-Queen-Cells-In-My-Hive-WBKA-WAG.pdf

From a colony requeening itself for the 2nd time in quick succession, I doubt you'd get any clue from the quantity of cells. They wouldn't be strong enough to raise more than 1 or 2 poorly attended cells.

Once or twice every year I'll see a new virgin queen go out, mate and start laying up.

'Great' I think job done.

A few weeks later I'll find swarm cells and no sign of the queen.

Yes been happening a lot, particularly notable this season. Also you often find on introduction of a new queen they have a go at replacing her as well. I usually knock those cells down and everything seems to stabilise when the new queen is surrounded by her own bees.

That link is a good read, thanks. I would guess that I had emergency queen cells going by that. Not sure how successful this time will be with this weather! Another waiting game.

Latest posts

Back