Hives on field of buckwheat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A week ago Steve G and I placed two hives on about ten acres of buckwheat in full flower. Not much has come in so far but we are hopeful that the flow will increase with the coming week of warm weather. We read that the honey is dark in colour but that's all we know. We'd be interested to hear if other forumites have collected a crop. How long does it stay liquid in the comb or jar? Nice taste?
Buckwheat.jpeg

Sets solid & tastes of old socks that rats have used for bedding..........leave it for 10 years & I believe it mellows slightly.

Only jesting Amari, will follow the thread with interest, let us know how it goes 👍

A week ago Steve G and I placed two hives on about ten acres of buckwheat in full flower. Not much has come in so far but we are hopeful that the flow will increase with the coming week of warm weather. We read that the honey is dark in colour but that's all we know. We'd be interested to hear if other forumites have collected a crop. How long does it stay liquid in the comb or jar? Nice taste?
View attachment 21347
That looks an impressive crop. I hope you get something from it. Maybe farmers might start planting buckwheat instead of OSR

That looks an impressive crop. I hope you get something from it. Maybe farmers might start planting buckwheat instead of OSR

Yesterday I took a super from my hive in the pic above and from another hive 100m away. The yield was poor: 12 lbs. SteveG's yield was 30 lbs from four hives. This despite very warm weather for nearly three weeks and the crop still in flower - long flowering rather like OSR.
The honey is dark and very strongly scented - lingers in the kitchen - witnesses liken it to compost/manure/silage. The taste is unusual ?caramel - SWMBO and I like it, SteveG is less certain. He has found out that Poles think it a delicacy so he will see if a Polish shop locally is interested.
IMG_0475.JPG

Back