Hives light

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may have been cold when I put it on as it had been in my garden workshop overnight. Further to my update, above, I'm going to leave the syrup in until after the weekend as the temperature here is supposed to hit fifteen degrees tomorrow and Sunday. If they haven't bothered by Monday I'll take it off.
Warm it up a bit and then give it back to them ...

He’s in Cornwall it’s warm enough for syrup. Doubt for much longer though been in shorts and t-shirt past 3 days

Yes... but quite high up almost on Bodmin moor ... and in a bit of a frost pocket
Don't think I would be out side after sunset in T shirt and shorts!

Perhaps the feeder needs on of Finnmans hive warmers in it!

Fondant on both our hives, can't see if they are taking it yet. Our oxalic acid vaporiser arrived yesterday so we vaped straight away as the weather was glorious here in the Vale of glam. Bit more fiddly than we first thought as we had to remove the insulation and the mouse guards as well as taking out the entrance block.Will be better prepared next time. I was on the timer in the shed away from any escaping fumes and my husband did the deed. Can't wait to check the mite drop later especially the one hive that had dropped over1300 with the apiguard.

Fondant on both our hives, can't see if they are taking it yet. Our oxalic acid vaporiser arrived yesterday so we vaped straight away as the weather was glorious here in the Vale of glam. Bit more fiddly than we first thought as we had to remove the insulation and the mouse guards as well as taking out the entrance block.Will be better prepared next time. I was on the timer in the shed away from any escaping fumes and my husband did the deed. Can't wait to check the mite drop later especially the one hive that had dropped over1300 with the apiguard.
I have a varrox vapouriser and slide it into the hive from the back, under the omf. It’s supported by a metal tray that fits where the varroa tray goes. Much easier than using the front entrance. Less likely to cook the bees or the comb. I stuff some sponge into the front to block the hole. Hope you have some ppe. It’s nasty stuff.

I have a varrox vapouriser and slide it into the hive from the back, under the omf. It’s supported by a metal tray that fits where the varroa tray goes. Much easier than using the front entrance. Less likely to cook the bees or the comb. I stuff some sponge into the front to block the hole. Hope you have some ppe. It’s nasty stuff.
Nowadays I don't bother blocking the entrance, makes no difference to the bees, they just carry on with their business with little regard to the sublimating

Likewise, I did try putting the vaporiser in through the front but that resulted in a lot of toasted bees thrown out onto a pile in front of the hive next morning 😢

Topped up nucs and hives this morning a mix of poly and wood. Checked them just now and all are on the syrup.

Thank you week definitely try that next time, we have all the right PPE

Thank you week definitely try that next time, we have all the right PPE
If you don’t have a metal tray, a wooden board will do the job. I think some people put a piece of kitchen foil under the varrox tray to protect the wood. I’m sure someone with more experience will be along if I’ve got it wrong.

Had a quick look this evening -- wearing T shirt and shorts: yes, really -- and the bees are in the feeder and taking it down so the warm day has done the trick. I was lucky with the warm spell butI won't risk it again though and will put fondant on the other light hives.

With any luck, there will be minimal drop after that amount. 1300 is very high, more than I've counted in an entire apiary with four sessions of OAV.

Had a quick look this evening -- wearing T shirt and shorts: yes, really -- and the bees are in the feeder and taking it down so the warm day has done the trick. I was lucky with the warm spell butI won't risk it again though and will put fondant on the other light hives.
I’ve got 200l mixing in the garage as we spesk😂

Latest posts

Back