Hives good points.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When breeding what would you say are the important points to be looking for?

3 hours and no reply! you lot know nothing :iagree:

Only teasing ;)

I fully admit to knowing nothing!

I would look for in this order:

Gentleness
Resistance to chalkbrood and nosema (and if I could varroa, but I don't belive in fairies)
Productivity
Non swarminess

Productivity,good vigour.
low chalkbrood,good resistance.
low swarming
reasonable temper.

That is interesting that we suggested almost back to front! Difference between a beginner and someone who knows what he is doing perhaps.

No its just me,temper is just not top of my list.

My list would be:

good vigour
good resistance
Productivity
reasonable temper
low swarming

I think I would be most frustrated by lack of vigour and constant illness that I had to treat.

What you want with with bee's is honey by the ton,no point to keeping them else,they are not cuddly pets.

Last edited:
I am not so sure Hivemaker,I have seen at least 2 articles this month in magazines aimed at back to the land green type readers that are asking everyone to take up beekeeping,I think many are after pet bees.

Think I may go import some of those nice Italian bees and go sell them to the beeks.

I think i may go import some of them hard working scuttellatas like they have in brazil,see what they make of them for pets.

Finman,you married to a bee,thats going to far.

HA HA you can be the bee.how do you like your drones.

That is interesting that we suggested almost back to front! Difference between a beginner and someone who knows what he is doing perhaps.

Not so Polyanwood. You, as a beginner want to enjoy your bees and learn as much as you can as quickly as you can. As you gain experience and therefore confidence your priorities will probably change and temper will drop down the list.
Regards Mike

Hi trinderinc

Have you posted the specimen yet?

Now that's got them thinking.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back