Hives facing West

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
This spring I moved my two hives to a walled garden in Mill Hill London NW7, and the Bees are doing fine

BUT the owner wants me to turn the hives so the entrances face the wall rather than the path that run all the way around the garden about 12ft from the wall ( compliant from the man who mows the lawn)

This means the Hive will face West....does this matter, i have always though it should be South East

No wind as the 7ft wall will be 5ft from the entrance and shield it, direct morning sun on the back of the hive now ( hive in NW corner of garden)

so i have turned them this morning in the rain and put a branch infront, let hope they dont get dizzy

This means the Hive will face West....does this matter

no

Its quite common to have four hives on a pallet facing different directions, which way their facing has no dissernable bearing on crop,temperament or health

don't worry too much about it - a beek I know near me has hives facing a hedge within an enclosed garden, some are almost shaded by the overgrown hedge and they seem to be just fine...

regards

S

my hives face all ways i have found though winter there beter facing south to get the sun

Latest posts

Back