Hives entrance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco666

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,
How should I keep the entrance of my Hives in this season? Should I keep it wide open or should I shorten it?
Thank you.
Marco.

Keep the reducer in, unless it really needs to come out.

Reasons for it coming out would start with it causing 'too large' (hand-sized?) a queue/scrum at the entrance. A small queue is a good thing, as it means that the bees aren't worried by robbers - which improves the colony's temperament.

Some people actually keep a stock of entrance reducers with different sized holes ...

I took out the blocks earlier but the guard bees began to become paranoid and a bit aggressive. I put them back in and the reduced entrance meant that they've become calm again.

Hello,
How should I keep the entrance of my Hives in this season? Should I keep it wide open or should I shorten it?
Thank you.
Marco.

I build my hives so they have a permanently reduced entrance as part of the omf floor. No need for a vast gap for the guard bees to have to defend

Hello,
Thank you.
Marco.

For the last 3 years I haven't bothered removing the entrance reducers and have never had a problem with queuing bees!

*Photo is a double brood c/w 5 supers and reduced entrance.

Attachments

• IMG_7084.JPG
    IMG_7084.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 30
Thank you very much everyone. Your suggestions are priceless.
Marco.

Latest posts

Back