Hived my bee's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I hived my bees this afternoon and they seem really happy now although the standard frames that were in the nuc stop the queen excluder sitting down quite right and i can't get the spacers to move.

It's ever such a small gap but will this cause any problems until i can move them ? i down't want to disturb them to much in one day.

Paul.

I nuc stop the queen excluder sitting down quite right and i can't get the spacers to move.

Paul.

You need not excluder now and a new nuc does not need it at all.
If you have not proper gaps in the hive, the queen may squeeze between hive parts.

Couple of thoughts.

Why oh why do people still use the old fashioned spacers when there are Hoffman frames???

2nd. The reason you have a problem with the spacing above is the brace comb on the top bars. When moving them into their bonny new hive you might have used the end of your hive tool to scrape them off.

However being (I assume) new to the hobby and a bit nervous too no doubt then it's a wee job for the next time you see them.

PH

I thought it was brace comb to so I removed I all and stored it nicely in a tub. It's definately the spacers that are causing the problem which I can sort on the next visit.

But as long as they will be ok with the small gap then they can wait. The new frames that I have are hoffman. Does anyone hve any experience with the little clips to convert standard to hoffman?

Why oh why do people still use the old fashioned spacers when there are Hoffman frames???

PH

I have a mix of spacer and hoffman's and I dont particularly like the hoffmans because they get propolised together quite badly, they tend to come appart with a little bit of a snap and i dont like it.

I far prefer the spacers because they can be maniputated more smoothly in the box.

Hoffman DN4 frames in the brood box and Manley frames in the supers for me every time....

Couple of thoughts.

PH

Both my nucs came with spacer frames.
I suspect experienced beeks are using up their stock on nucs.

I suspect that too. Though the only reason I can see for these blasted spacers is the initial outlay on frames is cheaper, but the pain of them will last for years so a good deal?

As for propolised frames "snapping" apart, just use the leverage of your hive tool, and I use the ¬ shaped one not the "j" type. FWIW.

PH

It looks like I am the odd one out.
I use coloured spacers and a J tool :(

I have moved to hoffman frames out of necessity but I do prefer plastic spacers as they are easier go get out when the temperature is cool.

I've got a big strong J tool and that does the job with hoffmans...!

hoffman travel better to if you are moving your bees about from what i have been told. so i guess if you were selling nucs they would be the ideal choice.

also use coloured spacers here too (use the colour for the year of the frame), dont understand the 'odd' reactions from some people on this - spacer and frame types are choices, they are not rules

imho hoffmans are simply to tight

Last edited:
dont understand the 'odd' reactions from some people on this - spacer and frame types are choices, they are not rules

Here Here!!!! I agree!!!! Last time I looked my bees didn't seem to worry?

it would be handy to have the frame year easily seen.

One could always buy a box of those fancy coloured drawing pins.

I couldn't really care a jot what others use. Entirely one's own choice. I use Hofmans in the broods and spacers for the supers. I have found the blue plastic ones last longest. The frames start with narrow ends and finish with the widest. That is if I fit them at all.

I think hofmans are better for the brood simply for travelling. they are easier to move within the brood without the frame swinging into the next and without having to get them all lined up.

Have tried plastic spacers, metal spacers, castellations (definitely not for me!) and self-spaced frames. Quite a few bits consigned to the waste bin over my relatively short time bekeeping!

Regards, RAB

Don't matter what frame,or spacing you use,use what you like,what you prefer,main thing is getting them filled.

Hoffmans too expensive for what they are and spacers a pain in the backside especially on supers at extraction time. If you're not moving the bees around ordinary DN1 and SN1 spaced by eye. You'll probably soon want extra spacing in your supers anyway as the comb gets drawn out.

My old spacers are consigned to the bin.

I keep some new ones to add to nucs if they are to be transported although I've moved many without and no mishaps to date.

Peter

Back