Hive wood treatment ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markf3625

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 looking to start 2022
Right, took the plunge and ordered a pine national hive all in, brood box, 2 supers frames wax etc, (pic attached hopefully) from bee-equipment.co.uk,yes I know 'pine' but I'm on a limited budget, what I wanted to ask, as it is pine, what do recommend to treat, preserve and weather proof the hive, I have plenty of time, a good few months to apply multiple coats.
What do you guys recommend.

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-092752.png
    Screenshot_20211123-092752.png
    529.3 KB · Views: 19
Any decent wood preservative (fence/shed paint) will be fine. I would stick to the main brands others can be watery. Or some of the external paints paints like cuprinol shades seem to work well. I painted some ply nucs in that and they are still going strong.
You might kick yourself for buying pine when you see cedar in the sales in a month or two.

Should be fine. I have plenty of pine boxes I use as supers and they hold up no problem. Try to use ceder for brood as they stay out all winter, but always end up with some none ceder staying out.
If you look at ITLD twitter (calluna4u) he has pine boxes from the late 40s still going strong. Give them a couple of coats of somthing decent on the outside (bees sort out the inside) and they should be fine.

Use the sadolin classic not the extra, the extra does not penetrate as much and forms more of a layer/skin.

I've heard good things about tung oil and it's definitely safe to use on hives. If I had pine boxes it's probably what I'd use.
Cuprinol Garden Shades seem to be a popular choice, so I assume it's bee-safe though I can't vouch for the preservative qualities.
I sprayed my shed with Cuprinol One Coat Sprayable 3-4 years ago and water still beads nicely.

Whatever you use, just treat the outside and, optionally, the mating faces between boxes. Don't paint the insides.

I’ve used this and found it excellent - quick drying, penetrates well and gives a natural finish. It’s easy to recoat too.E941491F-67DD-4EC4-B61C-755AC6328947.jpeg

I was advised by my course tutor to use a 50/50 mix of genuine turpentine and linseed oil.

Right, took the plunge and ordered a pine national hive all in, brood box, 2 supers frames wax etc, (pic attached hopefully) from bee-equipment.co.uk,yes I know 'pine' but I'm on a limited budget, what I wanted to ask, as it is pine, what do recommend to treat, preserve and weather proof the hive, I have plenty of time, a good few months to apply multiple coats.
What do you guys recommend.

Cheers
Mark
I use exterior masonry paint. Goes on easily, dries quickly and is relatively cheap. I use white, to keep cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Latest posts

Back