Hive weight headed into winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbush

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
0-30 at any given time
So what is the weight you shoot for when headed into winter? Here in the US Common advice states that a double deep colony should weigh 100-150 lbs for wintering. But American bees are very un-thrifty when it comes to winter stores.

Brother Adam wrote about winter thrift and setting a breeding goal for bees that could winter on as little as 6 lbs of stores. Obviously a hive with 6 lbs of honey isn't going to weigh 100 lbs.

So this made me wonder what the differences are for wintering between the USA and GB.

I can compare climate for climate on my own. I will also have to adjust for hive volume. All I want are weights.

Climate wise we have areas here that are far warmer then in GB as well as areas that are far colder. The west coast can produce honey all year long... the Northeast has about a 3 month per year honey season.

i have been told that 20lb stores. most of my hives are weighing around 40lb in total at moment, weight of stores, hive and bees.

4 word: winter is soon over

For next Autumn.
Hive must be feeded full that they cap the food.

Last edited:
I aim to have my colonies at or over 40kg (90lbs) to go into the winter. that weight is for OMF,commercial brood, frames and bees, cover board and deep roof.

They are given fondant early in the new year if the weight drops below 25kg.

Thank you. At last someone has put a figure I can relate too. Mine are on deep nationals with empty super underneath and deep roofs. Both currently just under 40kg so hopefully ok.

Latest posts

Back