hive vibrations as predictor of swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondervet

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Might have missed it if you've covered this already. excuse me if so.

Just wondered if this stuff is already widely known or if people are using it:

paper published by Martin Bencsik and others at Nottingham Trent Uni Feb 5 2011 (which you can find by putting 'accelerometer, bees, swarming' into google -it comes out top of the list) shows that they could predict swarming several days in advance with a 'simple transducer secured to the outside of the hive'. I can see the attraction in that.

If they are making queen cells they are probably thinking of swarming.

Would that not mean you are too late to prevent the bees bogging off!

Queen cells are sign of swarming.
First swarm leaves when first queen cells are capped.
Second swarm leaves when first queen cells emerge.

It is so simple. If you imagine that you need not look inside the hive, it will not get succeed.

Swarm leaves without warning when combs are full of honey and brood. This is one what you must look for. At least bees stop fogaging if the hive is allready full of honey.

OK, I know the principle is simple enough. What about when it rains for 2 weeks solid in May and too horrible to open hives -it'd be quite nice to know then.

Which is why an umbrella is handy. Not to mention a bit more reliable.. LOL

PH

In 1964 Eddie Woods started manufacture of his copyrighted 'Apidictor', after sevearal years of development. They are still in use today.

Think you might find the accelerometer is a posh technical term for a microphone diaphragm!

The search facility on here should find the relevant posts over the last year (some of which are very recent)

Regards, RAB

Bernard had one at Craibstone and whilst referring to it in public with due deference when talking to more experienced people he was dismissive. He had tried it and it was shall we say politely less than successful.

Would I buy one. No. However if I were blind then the answer might be maybe.

PH

OK, I know the principle is simple enough. What about when it rains for 2 weeks solid in May and too horrible to open hives -it'd be quite nice to know then.

YOu think that when it escapes in first sunny day, it is not horrible :)

thanks chaps. just thought it was interesting. still trying to get the best out of the 'search' tool -yes, I know that's simple in principle too......

Latest posts

Back