Hive types

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
National cedar hive,nucleus hive,and the new omlet beehaus,all good hives.
If you wish to make the national look more WBC ish,then you can add a stand and gabled roof.
Can't help noticing but the cover of the plastic hive has lateral distortion and looks like it's not been in use yet!.

John Wilkinson

good heavens! - is that really a hive? -I though it was the cooler for the cold beers........
whistling.gif

OK third time having a go at this

This is my take on the National hive giving I think a slight traditional look to the WBC and an overall more pleasing appearance and the only timber for the job is Cedar

Please work this time

Here's one of my re-furbs, ....

They cost about £30 and a some work ......

OK third time having a go at this

This is my take on the National hive giving I think a slight traditional look to the WBC and an overall more pleasing appearance and the only timber for the job is Cedar

Please work this time

Yes it's worked ,hive is finished to a high standard :).
The bottom rail seems not to have the usual water shedding slope , any reason for this? or has the top and bottom rails been interchanged or the box sat upside down on the floor ?

John Wilkinson

Thanks for the nice words John

Yes its a bit deceiving in the photograph believe me when I say would not be happy with myself if I had not put the slope on the bottom rails

Thanks for the comment
Thomas

Who said the camera can't lie ?
Half the models in employment would be out of work it it couldn't :cheers2:.
Is the hive diy coz it looks like Hivemakers standard . and believe me His standards are high ! Our newbees next year should be starting out with his hives :):).

John Wilkinson

Any one got any pics to post of the poly 3 in 1 nuc sold by Park beekeeping ?
It would be interesting to see a proper break down instead of the thumb nail views beloved of supply web sites :)

John Wilkinson
I've ordered one anyway so maybe I'll post my own pics?

John

I am one that will be!
Hive arrived today, Superb quality, extreamly pleased. thanks Hivemaker.

At least now I have progressed to a 'Beehive keeper' :)
We had 10 earlier in the year ,superb quality, our newbees were over the moon as they say :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

Nice hive Mr.bee,
Put it on a 2'x2' flag, keep damaging dampness out of the legs :hat:.

John Wilkinson

Yep, i will be doing something like that!
the pic is not its final resting place, that was just for the shot!
I have just treated the outside with Cuprinol wood preserver clear (Bee friendly) so its just drying off at the moment. :)

Mr B,
See if you can scrounge a frame of old comb from someone who is changing out old comb. Then in the spring (early April) make up 10 frames of foundation and put the old comb in the center. With your "to let" sign who knows you may get some uninvited, but welcome, free guests.
:cheers2: Mike

I agree with mjbee,dont forget the sign though!

I nearly had a heart attack reading you treated the hive until I read you used clear stain..

Mr B,
See if you can scrounge a frame of old comb from someone who is changing out old comb. Then in the spring (early April) make up 10 frames of foundation and put the old comb in the center. With your "to let" sign who knows you may get some uninvited, but welcome, free guests.
:cheers2: Mike
Yep, good idea!! Nothing to loose only to gain :cheers2:

I agree with mjbee,dont forget the sign though!

I nearly had a heart attack reading you treated the hive until I read you used clear stain..
haha, yep dont worry, Hivemaker told me what to use and i even looked it up on cuprinol web site. :biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back