Hive type

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish i kept my trap shut, i humbly appologize to one and all in the poly hive world. My piont was simple this, my beekeeping and only my bees are involved is. I keep bee's for pleasure and fun, if i were to keep several hundred that would be differant, when i was a novice i worked with double brood boxes and as a beginer i was only interested in the brood box, i never had to do manipulations with supers. it is easier to find her majasty on 11 frames than 22 also there was more chance of me squishing her bt going through 22 frames and two boxes, my only experience with poly was with the early stuff and have never gone back to try again, i have had use of most other types of wooded hives before i decided to stick with what i have now which are nationals with 12 x14 brood boxes 5" supers and all of them are home made, I have also made four sets of wbc outer that fit over the tops of the nationals , as at my last house we had the bee's in the garden and the wife wanted something beautiful to look at rather than painted square boxes, yes they are a pain in the bum to dismantle but with only four i enjoy it, ( think christmas presents weekly )If i were to go commercial i would proberly go for one single brood box and one super both the same size like a dadant or langstroth, but as we keep hearing with keeping bee's make your choice and stick with it.

The only way i learnt all the hives was working for free with truely commercial keepers and any other keeper who would let me go to there hives with them. I have worked with some of the most patient and wonderfull and some of the most aggressive and angry not bees but there keepers. I have seen ten people do the same job ten ways . do what i would do and still do every time you meet someone who keeps bees ask him how they do something and then ask the killer question why that way. and prove my point i have offered to be a steward at the spring show this is done as a volunteer half the day will be on duty the other half is mine, but heaven help anyone one who is working with me becaause i will want to know all about there opinions and processess.

Latest posts

Back