hive tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
looking on ebay and i have found this spec hive tool about £7.50 including P&P
is it of any use please.
9"/225mm Stainless steel hive tool. it's a J tool

Yes, esp. as you are going MD which have short lugs.
J tools easier to prize up these short lugs.

You will almost certainly lose it so buy 2 if you can afford.

Thanks. didn't no if i should get the 10.5 inch one.
but this one is a bit shorter and bit cheaper .

Thanks Taff plus free P&P :)

so dont buy it if it's not what you want ;)

I'm just wondering what people plan to use it for. I guess it'd come in handy for plying up floorboards when doing a bit of plumbing, or levering up a man hold cover or two. That much leverage would surely rip a top bar off. Then again, perhaps they sell reinforced frames to go with it.....

Adam

I'm just wondering what people plan to use it for. I guess it'd come in handy for plying up floorboards when doing a bit of plumbing, or levering up a man hold cover or two. That much leverage would surely rip a top bar off. Then again, perhaps they sell reinforced frames to go with it.....

Adam

I only use the J type hive tools so easy to use, J end great for whipping out the first frame in a hive, also the flat end on the side is great for putting between two frame and then leavering them apart. Yes you could get some serious leverage on it but surely you'd stop trying before the frame split!

Better to have too much power and only use a 10th of it than not have enough power at all!

C B

Last edited:
whats a couple of inches between friends?

Adam

depends how ham fisted you are doesn't it? if someone cant see that they are about to rip off the top bar then maybe they should learn a little skill of hand ;)

I cant see what the problem is to be honest, :confused: I sooner have a tool that makes light work than something that can barely do the job, this is only a piece of metal, you could use a butter knife if you were that way inclined.

I have to agree, it's the amount of pressure being put on the tool. Not the tool it'self.

Hi

"it's the amount of pressure being put on the tool. Not the tool it'self."

Funny that's exactly what I keep telling the girlfriend...........................:smilielol5:

Adam

at 28cm long it only just under an inch longer than my standard Thornes Red J tool which i have just measured at 26.9cm

Now how much does an extra inch give??...no dont answer that :leaving:

Back