Hive stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So have I and I have a moveable hive cosy I use to put stuff on but it really is useful to have the extra space
I have only about a foot between my hives (space limitations in my apiary) but as they are on individual stands I can prop the roof and the crownboard between the hives, when I'm inspecting the brood box the supers go on the roof of the next hive - I have a couple of bits of 2 x 1 timber that slot together in a cross that I can place the first super on so I don'tr crush bees. Get's a bit interesting as I can only reach three supers on the roof of the next hive ! Oh for a bigger apiary .... there's plenty of room elsewhere in the garden but 'er indoors put a veto on that idea ...

Is it too simple to put the upturned roof on the ground behind or to the side of the hive, and then the removed boxes at a skewed angle on top? I thought that was basic stuff. It keeps the bulk and weight low; the crownboard can be temporarily replaced on the stack, and the bees are away from the beekeeper whilst inspecting deep in the brood.

s it too simple to put the upturned roof on the ground behind or to the side of the hive, and then the removed boxes at a skewed angle on top?
It's a lot easier on the back if the upturned roof sits on the stand next to the hive

It's a lot easier on the back if the upturned roof sits on the stand next to the hive
That requires either double the number of stands and leaving half of them empty. Or dragging around a spare stand or support. Or having single stands that are twice the size, or double stands 30% bigger than I already have. Is that what most people do?

That requires either double the number of stands and leaving half of them empty
not at all, all my stands are five foot long and I put two hives on each, far more stable than putting each hive on a single stand with an 18" footprint - plenty of room in the middle then for stacking supers or housing a nuc at a push.

not at all, all my stands are five foot long and I put two hives on each, far more stable than putting each hive on a single stand with an 18" footprint - plenty of room in the middle then for stacking supers or housing a nuc at a push.
Earlier, you were saying that it works for you, having three hives, closely packed on that size of stand, but in fact, you have only two hives on a stand. That implies that you might have nearly a 600mm gap between the hives.......possibly a better practice to advise for the OP?
As I assumed, your stand needs to be around 30% bigger than strictly necessary, but something worth considering.

Is it too simple to put the upturned roof on the ground behind or to the side of the hive, and then the removed boxes at a skewed angle on top? I thought that was basic stuff. It keeps the bulk and weight low; the crownboard can be temporarily replaced on the stack, and the bees are away from the beekeeper whilst inspecting deep in the brood.
I keep a piece of correx under the roof just in case I need an extra crown board when splitting the stack. Found it really useful this year when hunting for wayward queens.

I try to save my back and lifting heavy supers up off the floor is not the best thing to be doing. Having empty space dotted about the apiary is for me a good thing. I try not to fill it though. I have the space, a field full.

Earlier, you were saying that it works for you, having three hives, closely packed on that size of stand, but in fact, you have only two hives on a stand.
I think you need to read my post properly instead of constantly trying to find an excuse to pick and cause discord. What I actually said was, I have, when needed kept them three to a stand with a few inches between them without any issues

Being new to bee keeping there is so much information out there, i built a hive stand from left over wood in the garden, it's ok but nothing to write home about, i want to eventaully have around 4 hives, My garden is not very big and 1 corner is taken up by the pond, been keeping Japanese koi for 15 years, anyway I came across a site on the net of hive stand that I think is very cool, the selling point for me was that the height can be adjusted if your floor is uneven, saves you putting rocks and other stuff to level the stand, i had some 4x2 timber around so I gave it a go, sanded the wood and gave it 2 coat of linseed oil, the scaffold jacks can be adjusted upto 500mm, I've just adjusted all 4 and the level is perfect, tomorrow I go and pick up my first colony of bees.
Sorry if this post is in the wrong section
Looks like the Hilton Hotel of hive stands 👍😊

I think you need to read my post properly instead of constantly trying to find an excuse to pick and cause discord. What I actually said was, I have, when needed kept them three to a stand with a few inches between them without any issues
Duly noted.:laughing-smiley-014

Back