Hive stand wood v slab??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all!

Bear with me, being a newbie and all!

Just getting ready for my first hive (national) and was going to use concrete slabs to put it on but I been advised wooded pallets can be better as get less hot in the sun? This makes sense. However, if the queen drops of the frame (heaven forbid!) she will be harder to find in grass? Would it be worth nailing a few bits of pallet to make a wooden "slab". Also, the area is desperately trying to reclaim itself as a "field" so i have a constant battle keeping down ground elder, dock etc and need to be able to clear around the hive fairly regulary esp in summer.

So, any advise would be appreciated!

Floss

Hi Floss
You should be using open mesh floor so you will need a space below the hive for the mites to fall. Don't put the hive directly on to the concrete slab as this will effectively block the mesh floor. My hives are supported on wood, concrete and plastic crates. All work well providing you make sure whatever you use is sturdy and the hive is at a comfortable height for inspections and there is plently of ventilation space under the hive.

floss try these ideas,

1 put a piece of carpet down on the floor or ground first this will hold the weeds back if you want posh timber line the edges and fill the middle with bark chippings, these are not expensive if you phone your local garden contractor who will be greatfull to dispose of a lorry load for £30,
now we are weed free so no need to spray or mow under the hive , try a paving slab on the ground as a starting point old or new the choice is yours look in skips ( one of my faviot hobbies) you might get on free
now all we have to do is conect the ground slab to the hive base. there are hundreds of hive stand designs you can use but for simple and quick go to your local builders yard or b and q and ask for two 4 inch concrete blocks if you want we can go higher but for most people to blocks is 9 inches up and what we do is we have the two blocks standing on edge running from front to back so the side edges of our brood base sit ontop of the block, if we realy wanted to we can go another 9 inches higher to put the base 18 inches up but for that ask for four , six inch concrete blocks they are more stable.

the last option is to beat the old man untill he make a wood frame from four legs 2" square and a frame of three by one to your exact hieght

one slab and two blocks are around £8 in total

Pete,
You have very accurately described the set up I have in my apiary - not posh though so didn't bother with the chippings.
thoroughly recommended works a treat.
Regards Mike

simple works every time if you get more hives all you have to do is put two timber rails along the two blocks and we have a row of hives , you will find i should of described most apiaries if i ant they must be super posh, the wood chippins work great with old skipped carpet looks good to

Very good description Pete and like M J Bee this is what I use too.

There is just one point if you are going to using a hive with a solid floor and that is the orientation of the concrete slab. Just make sure the slab is sloping slightly in the direction where you want the hive entrance to be, this way it ensures that any moisture or rain drains out of the hive entrance.

Thank you everyone, most helpful! Tx Fenbee I was going to ask about the sloping floor - could be interesting as I am on a hill although the hives will be on a flat "ish" bit, just have to get the direction right!

I have carpet, pallet and flags already (hoarder you see) so thats another questioned answered and another job to do!

Cheers! Floss

Hi Floss
recommend using a slab on the floor. Keeps the grass at bay. look at Dave Cushmans website at his drawings for a hive stand. If you have old palletts I am sure you will find it easy to modify his drawing to suit the wood available. Good stands design these. I always put a landing board on the front and get my wife to paint them to make them look good!!!

Latest posts

Back