Hive setup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one bee one

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
when i get my new bees and i put them into the brude box, do i then put the lid on for a certain amount of time or do i add a super and put then put the lid.
im a bit confused as i cant find a guide that is simple.

thanks in advance for replies

:welcome:
Have you been on a beekeeping course yet, it.s worth doing one which will help you to keep bees successfully.
The answer to your question is no, the colony needs to grow first before adding a super.

Have you been on a beekeeping course yet, it.s worth doing one which will help you to keep bees successfully.
The answer to your question is no, the colony needs to grow first before adding a super.

:iagree:

i will be going on a course, how long should i leave them in the bruder before i add the super?

i will be going on a course, how long should i leave them in the bruder before i add the super?

There is no point in asking such basics questions plus supplementary ones when you clearly haven't done the basics of joining a local beekeeping club. Google for "BBKA" and there you will find a link to page listing them all by County/Area and then pick one that you fancy and then go to their meetings and chat to your hearts content.

when i get my new bees and i put them into the brude box, do i then put the lid on for a certain amount of time or do i add a super and put then put the lid.

Your profile shows your location as "North East". If we knew your nearest town someone close by might be able to offer you assistance or mentor you.
P.S. It's Brood box :)

Welcome to the forum! I suggest you take the easy route and do a course with your local beekeepers association. There's lots of beginners courses running at this time of year and you'll have the chance to ask all the questions you wish, meet others who are just starting, and get a mentor who will support and help you.

There is no point in asking such basics questions plus supplementary ones when you clearly haven't done the basics of joining a local beekeeping club. Google for "BBKA" and there you will find a link to page listing them all by County/Area and then pick one that you fancy and then go to their meetings and chat to your hearts content.

Or put your name down for a Flow Hive ?

You need to at least read a book so you can identify hive parts correctly & learn the basics, dont get bees untill you understand what you are doing or you will probably lose them. Try bees at the bottom of your garden, thats a good starting point.

Welcome to the forum! I suggest you take the easy route and do a course with your local beekeepers association. There's lots of beginners courses running at this time of year and you'll have the chance to ask all the questions you wish, meet others who are just starting, and get a mentor who will support and help you.

If you are in the North East, our local beekeeping association, Durham Beekeepers, are running a beginners course, starting mid-April.

It's "brood"!

For the sake of the bees ...
  • The roof should be left on and not opened unless it's warm enough for the bees to survive.
  • You won't need to put on a super for another month.
  • You may have to feed them over the next few weeks.

You don't seem to realise that to keep bees requires a certain knowledge and understanding of how to do so. It's really a kind of farming. I would consider myself to be a beginner, even though I have had bees since last year, so you can see it's not a simple matter of getting bees and off you go. I also did a course before I got the bees - anything else is, frankly, daft!

One other thing: if you start handling your bees before learning how, I guarantee you'll have the most vicious bees you've ever hear of within a couple of weeks!!!

Are you allergic to bee stings?
Bumbling around without some basic knowledge will get you stung in more than one way.bee-smillie

Please do a course if one is available ( I'm sure there will be).

Haynes Bee Manual is a good book to look at. Well illustrated.

Your question .
Don't know I can't see them is the only answer I can give you atm and don't touch any lids yet.

You need to be a little more specific.
It would be helpful to know what you are getting and when.
Hive type maybe too.
Do you have the frames ready ?
Beesuit ?
Smoker ?
Hive Tool ?
Feeder and do you know what to feed ?

You will have a lot more enjoyment if you have some basic knowledge. Any good beginners course will set you on your way.

Good luck :)

damn it...
Took me ages to type that and edit so it wasn't rude.

Do they gather much honey? (sorry...couldn't resist it)

Yes ... You need a honey hound .. trained to sniff out honey and point at it ... JBM's thinking of breeding them and I'm setting up a crowd funding site to get the programme underway ... they will all be supplied partially trained and complete with a harness and yellow coat with a white stick and dark glasses for the owner so that you can take them into Tesco where they will point out jars of honey on the shelves .. saves all this mucking about with bees and hives and tubes and jars ...

Packages will start at around £200 for the dark glasses and stick and in about three years time you should get a partially trained honey hound if the breeding programme goes to plan and you invest £1500 for the pup and the training manual (they are only partially trained - the rest is up to you but full instructions will be provided).

Yes ... You need a honey hound .. trained to sniff out honey and point at it ... JBM's thinking of breeding them and I'm setting up a crowd funding site to get the programme underway ... they will all be supplied partially trained and complete with a harness and yellow coat with a white stick and dark glasses for the owner so that you can take them into Tesco where they will point out jars of honey on the shelves .. saves all this mucking about with bees and hives and tubes and jars ...

Packages will start at around £200 for the dark glasses and stick and in about three years time you should get a partially trained honey hound if the breeding programme goes to plan and you invest £1500 for the pup and the training manual (they are only partially trained - the rest is up to you but full instructions will be provided).
Or a honey guide, a little brown bird in Africa that will lead a honey badger, or a human, to a colony of bees. The honey guide will then benefit from eating some of the scraps.

Legend has it that if you take everything, and you don't leave some comb and grubs for the honey guide, it will lead you to danger next time...... Like a lion or a stroppy bull elephant.

Latest posts

Back