Hive Security

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
north bound after 303 turning they had been there for many many years, I think they got nicked start of this season!
Yes, I think we are talking the same area. Have a look next time I go that way.

I always smile nod sagely and thank the bee gods every time I see another fool put their hives close to a gate and can be seen from the road year round.

Why.........

Cos the thieving scum aint nicking mine.

I've seen a beekeeper in North Devon with with a full hive on a trailer behind his bike. The trailer was a great looking bit of kit including suspension!

I always smile nod sagely and thank the bee gods every time I see another fool put their hives close to a gate and can be seen from the road year round.

Why.........

Cos the thieving scum aint nicking mine.
054CB41E-15C3-4ECC-8107-611216D69B72.jpeg. One stride from front gate. 30 years plus !

I haven't towed a live colony/hive with my pushbike/trailer but do use it to take broods/supers etc to and from apiaries, the towing weight is noticeable when taking 4 or 5 heavy supers/broods home for extracting.

Hi. I am very new to this beekeeping lark (1st year)(1st post) but I have had a look at Google maps as I know what day this year they took the photo over the area that I keep my two hives and it's a very clear picture but I can hardly make out the 2 hives and I know exactly where they are. So for anyone going onto Google maps to search for bees must be just looking for the perfect photo when the sun is shining at the right angle onto the roofs to get that image or they must have some other background local knowledge as well. To test this I know of roughly another keepers location but I could not find it on maps and I know witin a quarter mile of it's location from a road. But on the plus side I do like the idea of painting my hive roofs camo (DPM hasn't got the same ring to it) it brings out the inner child.
Also just a thought are Google ading and abetting in a crime. If i go out and take photos of a house and pass these to someone who then goes and steals its a crime.
Another thought could you ask Google to alter the image under the data protection laws as I don't suppose you gave them permission to photograph your property.

You can take photos of anyone’s house provided it’s from public access

I haven't towed a live colony/hive with my pushbike/trailer but do use it to take broods/supers etc to and from apiaries, the towing weight is noticeable when taking 4 or 5 heavy supers/broods home for extracting.
When ROB Manley started his beekeeping, he used to go around on a bike collecting 'drummed' colonies from skeppists.

The old skepists were on the ball . They knew to a few hours when a skep was due to swarm and would sit in the apiary in anticipation .
On a parallel with the old one mile pigeon fliers . The difference between winning and losing a race was split seconds therefore your bird had to be in peak condition at the time of the race . Whereas the homing pigeon was a protracted race involving long distances!

Hi. I am very new to this beekeeping lark (1st year)(1st post) but I have had a look at Google maps as I know what day this year they took the photo over the area that I keep my two hives and it's a very clear picture but I can hardly make out the 2 hives and I know exactly where they are. So for anyone going onto Google maps to search for bees must be just looking for the perfect photo when the sun is shining at the right angle onto the roofs to get that image or they must have some other background local knowledge as well. To test this I know of roughly another keepers location but I could not find it on maps and I know witin a quarter mile of it's location from a road. But on the plus side I do like the idea of painting my hive roofs camo (DPM hasn't got the same ring to it) it brings out the inner child.
Also just a thought are Google ading and abetting in a crime. If i go out and take photos of a house and pass these to someone who then goes and steals its a crime.
Another thought could you ask Google to alter the image under the data protection laws as I don't suppose you gave them permission to photograph your property.
Yessss....there is a bit of 'Apiaranoia' present with all of us? I have met a few people that have lost hives. However, one had to be a 'professional hit,' as it was dozens of hives, as in a flatbed lorries worth. The other was an easy lift, into a van, or they would have been badly stung! Most people won't go near hives. Other beekeepers that would, are not thieves and love bees along with other beekeepers.

Yessss....there is a bit of 'Apiaranoia' present with all of us? I have met a few people that have lost hives. However, one had to be a 'professional hit,' as it was dozens of hives, as in a flatbed lorries worth. The other was an easy lift, into a van, or they would have been badly stung! Most people won't go near hives. Other beekeepers that would, are not thieves and love bees along with other beekeepers.
GROUP HUG PEOPLE!!!!!! LOL :love: o_O:love:

Latest posts

Back