Hive Security

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How prevalent is hive theft? Has any member of this forum suffered from it. Is it one of those things that we hear about from time to time, but that happens very rarely?

I use a heavy duty seed tray with compost, then add some sedum/rockery plants, placing woodchips around plants on top of the compost. I also place a cat litter tray in the centre for a water station.

I paint my hives a mix of brown and green. Ditto my nucs /mating nucs..

:poop:But there is no point in camouflaging hives if you then inspect them in a white suit/jacket.

:poop:But there is no point in camouflaging hives if you then inspect them in a white suit/jacket.
and neatly manicure the growth around the hives (I recall earlier this year someone making rather disparaging remarks about one commercial beek who didn't - maybe he has a sound reason)

Fortunately my bee suit is a sludge green, so if I stick some greenery on to it I will blend in nicely!

Well, there someone along the M3 that displays his row of hives very clearly to the motorists. Hope they are difficult to get to otherwise there is only a matter of time.
north bound after 303 turning they had been there for many many years, I think they got nicked start of this season!

We had a single hive nicked from the teaching apiary last year. They are on private land and not visible from any road but plenty of people will have been there over the years.😕
Most hives must be nicked to order, they are not the sort of thing you take down the pub tucked under a long coat and say "Pssssssttttttt wanna cheap hive? "

For garden hives or ones close to a dwelling a wireless loud (110db+) relatively cheap movement/motion sensor alarm might scare the bejesus out of someone enough to scare them off. A type often used for push bikes could be stuck or hidden under the floor of a colony.

Last edited:
and neatly manicure the growth around the hives (I recall earlier this year someone making rather disparaging remarks about one commercial beek who didn't - maybe he has a sound reason)
A good stand of nettles and bracken in front of the colonies prevents the hornets from hawking.... that is my excuse!

Latest posts

Back