Hive Security

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having read about various hive thefts on the forum and looked on google maps, it appears that shiny zinc roofs, in straight lines are a big give away. I would like to paint the roofs using camouflage paint. I have looked on the usual websites for supplies, but the cheaper versions generally have poor reviews. Does anyone know of a cheap, but effective source of paint, or is it a case of cheap is rubbish?!

Thanks,
Emily

Having read about various hive thefts on the forum and looked on google maps, it appears that shiny zinc roofs, in straight lines are a big give away. I would like to paint the roofs using camouflage paint. I have looked on the usual websites for supplies, but the cheaper versions generally have poor reviews. Does anyone know of a cheap, but effective source of paint, or is it a case of cheap is rubbish?!

Thanks,
Emily

If you're just wanting to camouflage then cheap will be OK. I would keep an eye out in Lidl for their bargain aerosols of paint. Many of the modern fence paints are good to go on metal and most people have a bit of that lying around. :)

Having read about various hive thefts on the forum and looked on google maps, it appears that shiny zinc roofs, in straight lines are a big give away.
I sympathize with your concerns over hive thefts. Even though "camouflage colours" may help to disguise hive boxes, I think that straight lines of hive boxes would still be rather obvious, even if they are painted. If camouflage is necessary/desirable, then I wonder what you and other forum members might think of camouflage netting. I have seen pictures of camouflage net which appears to be made up of lots of individual flaps of rubbery material (I don't know how to describe it accurately because I have not actually seen it), but the result is that items covered by it look a bit like overgrown shrubbery.
I wish you every success in your endeavours.

I am sure we had someone on the forum years ago that camouflage painted his hives and a very good job he made of it too.

Drill a hole in each hive floor . Stick a bung in each hole tethered to the hive stand!
As they make off with a hive , the bung will stay behind and the thieves will be surrounded by angry bees . Hopefully when in their vehicle !

'Camouflage' is now called DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material), the names is a hint - the colour or how pretty the pattern is is not that important, it's breaking up the outline or shape A row of uniform green straight sided squares is almost as visible from a satellite as a row of shiny galv. ones So any old paint will do, slapped on any old way in a mix of any old colours. if it peels, so what? it just makes the image even more disrupted.
I remember a good few years ago when many in the hunting/shooting fraternity eschewed the army surplus clothes rail at game fairs where people like me with a lot less money than sense would make a beeline for, and instead would throw their hard earned at a revoloutionary new DPM alternative called 'realtree' people spent a fortune on 'Mossy Oak' 'waterfowl' or 'timber' which made them look like an American tree whilst at the same time marvelling (but not understanding) the next display which was dayglo orange Cammo to ensure that another simple witted hunter didn't mistake you for a rabbit but would still make you invisible to old Bambi.
The next season as all the youngsters turned out in their expensive realtree kit an old gaffer who always turned up at his local meet in his tatty old gannex raincoat held together with a bit of old baler twine, leaning on his trusty (and very rust) Baikal single barrel 12 bore leaned over to me and said. " I sometimes wonder how much of this is designed to fool the buyer, rather than the quarry"

I can see how doing this for a new apiary site would work.

However, would be pointless doing it on an existing one, that can already be seen on Google maps. Google may take 7 to 10 years to retake the aerial imagery, and all the old imagery can be viewed in the Google Earth programme, (not browser), so seems pointless.

I can see how doing this for a new apiary site would work.

However, would be pointless doing it on an existing one, that can already be seen on Google maps. Google may take 7 to 10 years to retake the aerial imagery,
So no point doing it for a new site now then - as it won't be seen for another ten years!! :winner1st:

So no point doing it for a new site now then - as it won't be seen for another ten years!! :winner1st:
Exactly!

Unless you're going to be there for years and years, and have time to spare.

Just looking at my new apiary site, and you can see pigs / pig pens on it. When I purchased the land, the previous owner told me how he planted the orchard, about 10 years ago. That this year gave us many apples, pears and plums. That orchard grows really well in pig s#!t. We're in an area where nothing ever changes (historic and planning are a pain), so Google dosen't bother paying for updated imagery.

'Camouflage' is now called DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material), the names is a hint - the colour or how pretty the pattern is is not that important, it's breaking up the outline or shape A row of uniform green straight sided squares is almost as visible from a satellite as a row of shiny galv. ones So any old paint will do, slapped on any old way in a mix of any old colours. if it peels, so what? it just makes the image even more disrupted.
I remember a good few years ago when many in the hunting/shooting fraternity eschewed the army surplus clothes rail at game fairs where people like me with a lot less money than sense would make a beeline for, and instead would throw their hard earned at a revoloutionary new DPM alternative called 'realtree' people spent a fortune on 'Mossy Oak' 'waterfowl' or 'timber' which made them look like an American tree whilst at the same time marvelling (but not understanding) the next display which was dayglo orange Cammo to ensure that another simple witted hunter didn't mistake you for a rabbit but would still make you invisible to old Bambi.
The next season as all the youngsters turned out in their expensive realtree kit an old gaffer who always turned up at his local meet in his tatty old gannex raincoat held together with a bit of old baler twine, leaning on his trusty (and very rust) Baikal single barrel 12 bore leaned over to me and said. " I sometimes wonder how much of this is designed to fool the buyer, rather than the quarry"
Apologies, I misunderstood the tartan comment in relation to DPM. Yes, I am planning to use a mix of colours in a hotch potch pattern and the hives will be randomly positioned rather than neat straight lines.

Exactly!

Unless you're going to be there for years and years, and have time to spare.

Just looking at my new apiary site, and you can see pigs / pig pens on it. When I purchased the land, the previous owner told me how he planted the orchard, about 10 years ago. That this year gave us many apples, pears and plums. That orchard grows really well in pig s#!t. We're in an area where nothing ever changes (historic and planning are a pain), so Google dosen't bother paying for updated imagery.
Unfortunately my area seems to get updated regularly.

Perhaps consider Vinyl, (The type sign writer use)
its really cheap, you can get a matt finish, will stick to almost anything.... Cover the entire lid, then cut patterns with an arts and craft knife with what ever camo design you want.... easy to remove again... simple cheap and fun... Plus! Add to waterproofing...
All you need is to break the shape..... and perhaps the reflectivenessness...

My concern would be what paint stays on zinc plate.
All my old photos of the poly hives are long gone, sorry. My best advice would be a couple of small tins of hammerite in black, green and brown.

Well, there someone along the M3 that displays his row of hives very clearly to the motorists. Hope they are difficult to get to otherwise there is only a matter of time.

My concern would be what paint stays on zinc plate.
All my old photos of the poly hives are long gone, sorry. My best advice would be a couple of small tins of hammerite in black, green and brown.
Water based acid etched primer grabs onto galvanising quite well... Red/rust colour, green and black available in my home town...
Have used it often on zink sheeting/roofing.... Never had it lift.. Even in our heat..
Product here in Africa is made by Duram... NS4

Attachments

• 20201016_094814.jpg
    20201016_094814.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back