hive roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iann41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
quite a lot now
I'm finding it hard to find a cheap source for the cover of my home made hive roofs.

I've been around all the printing firms locally for their old ali printing blanks with no joy.

Was looking at correx sheet but that may be too expensive.

Other than roof felt, which I will probably use, has anyone got suggestions to another UV stabilised cover material for a hive roof. As said it must be cheap.

Thanks

Offcuts of Butyl pond liner, lasts longer that roofing felt.
Scrap Ali. of an old dead caravan.

I use roof repair tape. Self adhesive and you don't need much. You do need a good roof surface. Lasts well and any you don't use will keep until the next hive. Toolstation/Screwfix check prices

I was looking for a cheap material to cover my bait hives.
In the end I used some off cuts of tyvek type sheeting left by the roofers who tiled my roof.

It's not sold as waterproof but seems to keep them dry.

I am contemplating giving the a coat of paint!

A pain of glass works well as long as you're careful not to smash it. 100% waterproof & you can rest your smoker on it without burning holes in it. Got a piece of 5mm wire reinforced over 50mm Kingspan as a roof on my plywood nuc

Aluminium sheet from ebay... I saw some one use this

I use this on my home made nucs. Five sheets of 580 x 580mm aluminium sheet for £22 inc. p&p. Very easy to cut and bend.

I'd post a photo, but the forum won't let me :(

I've used the same Noddy,
I score it with a Stanley knife and it makes a very neat fold.

Correx works out about £2/roof (purchased from eBay) and you don't need to 'cover' anything with it, just fold the corners, tape them and hold it down with a brick or two.

A few 'For Sale' signs are big enough to make a roof from and can be found. The Tories had some big blue election signs last May ...

I use this on my home made nucs. Five sheets of 580 x 580mm aluminium sheet for £22 inc. p&p. Very easy to cut and bend.

I'd post a photo, but the forum won't let me :(

What thickness do you use?

All my homemade roofs are covered in thin aluminium off old caravans at the local scrap dealer's yard. It cuts easily with tin snips and bends easily with a couple of pieces of wood in a vice but can also be painted - I use colours to distinguish my hives - I've only got four!

CVB

Correx works out about £2/roof (purchased from eBay) and you don't need to 'cover' anything with it, just fold the corners, tape them and hold it down with a brick or two.

A few 'For Sale' signs are big enough to make a roof from and can be found. The Tories had some big blue election signs last May ...

Is that similar to the Proplex stuff you can get at builder's merchants?
We used it on a TBH, only £4 for 2400mm x 1200mm.
They use it to cover floors and walls to stop damage, but it works very well as a flexible roof covering too!

Duct tape never seems to stick well to correx. What tape do you use?
Gorrilla tape any good for corrrex?

Last edited:
The Correx used for protection is only about 2mm thick so not ideal as a roof as it's a bit flimsy. I bought a load of 4mm correx sheets in white to use as varroa boards and I also use to make roofs using duct tape.... it always stick like s**t to a blanket in my experience!
I think the white correx was about £15/sheet inc delivery but it does make 18 varroa boards to fit my mesh floors.

The Correx used for protection is only about 2mm thick so not ideal as a roof as it's a bit flimsy. I bought a load of 4mm correx sheets in white to use as varroa boards and I also use to make roofs using duct tape.... it always stick like s**t to a blanket in my experience!
I think the white correx was about £15/sheet inc delivery but it does make 18 varroa boards to fit my mesh floors.

I suppose there is duct tape and there is duct tape! Some makes stick better than others.

The Correx used for protection is only about 2mm thick so not ideal as a roof as it's a bit flimsy.

Oops, sorry, I thought he was covering the roof, not making a roof out of it!
Yep, the Proplex would be too thin for that. Great for covering though and the cheapest stuff I could find. :)

This stuff ...

150103-015.jpg

Lightly sand the bit you're attaching it to, clean with a solvent to remove grease and press down hard. Works well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back