Hive prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have every sympathy with how Patrick has been treated by the bbka. For an amateur body to single out a company operating completely within the law is a joke. To also take action that affects that firm is diabolical in the extreme. To then not judge other firms by the same standard is a joke, the simple fact is if they removed all adverts from those company’s that imported bees/queens or sold progeny from imports there would be little left. Inc most of the big boys! However if he starts quoting carp! About fondant or putting prices up I’m happy to compare other suppliers in order to help new beeks I’m sure in some instances he’s cheaper. Direct comparisons are available for us all to look at.

we are thinking of upping our hive numbers next year, I'm wondering if its worth getting 10 complete sets in stock so that not scratching about when we are surprised and if it turns out we don't need them they'll be there for the year after, is it wroth phoning around for prices or is it what the websites say ?

From what I've seen he's cheaper for some things and more expensive for others, stocks some things I use but not all. I've not bought enough to compare quality of everything across all or most manufacturers. I can compare frames and foundation across Thorne, Bee equipment and Simon the Beekeeper. Price is generally best on the latter but quality is lower, the first two, in my limited experience, are similar in terms of quality.

I own BeeTradex ;) (y)

I feel this is a 'drops mic' comment! Didn't see that coming. @patrick can you get a bit more info on the website? I was looking at it the other night and it seemed a bit content thin. I was half asleep though.

When I want to buy any kit I always do as others and look around for a good price and quality. The thing that absolutely kills a purchase for me is the additional cost of postage/transportation. So often I and others are penalised heavily for living in the countryside. When I check on an independent site for shipping costs of the same goods as I am ordering I discover all too often that the most expensive shipper has been used by the company; the difference can easily be around £3 for lighter goods and over £10 when its heavier. The real classic occurred a few weeks ago again, not bee stuff but a solid example, where the transport costs of a 4kg item was £30 to come from the midlands. The item's cost was £28 and pence. Their reason was simply thats what their shipper charges - Needless to say the company did not get my order. Like many other companies they are not really that interested in actually serving the customer. How hard is it really for a supplier of any goods that is to be shipped to use the most beneficial to the customer shippers? ( I have since purchased said item from elsewhere with a nominal surcharge of £3 - also from the midlands)
edit - rant rant rant

we are thinking of upping our hive numbers next year, I'm wondering if its worth getting 10 complete sets in stock so that not scratching about when we are surprised and if it turns out we don't need them they'll be there for the year after, is it wroth phoning around for prices or is it what the websites say ?
Maismore sale on now ;) you've just missed the Thorne's sale days - it was a very enjoyable day out 🙂(y)

When I want to buy any kit I always do as others and look around for a good price and quality. The thing that absolutely kills a purchase for me is the additional cost of postage/transportation. So often I and others are penalised heavily for living in the countryside. When I check on an independent site for shipping costs of the same goods as I am ordering I discover all too often that the most expensive shipper has been used by the company; the difference can easily be around £3 for lighter goods and over £10 when its heavier. The real classic occurred a few weeks ago again, not bee stuff but a solid example, where the transport costs of a 4kg item was £30 to come from the midlands. The item's cost was £28 and pence. Their reason was simply thats what their shipper charges - Needless to say the company did not get my order. Like many other companies they are not really that interested in actually serving the customer. How hard is it really for a supplier of any goods that is to be shipped to use the most beneficial to the customer shippers? ( I have since purchased said item from elsewhere with a nominal surcharge of £3 - also from the midlands)
edit - rant rant rant

Living in Campbeltown at the end of that long peninsular, delivery by drone might be cheaper.......

Contact John at hedgerow Honey he did me a really good deal he’s very knowledgeable and they have an offer on at the moment too!!!
Barbie. I understand you are Hedgerow Honey. It might be best if you stopped suggesting we shop with you ?
I've deleted a few of your posts but I see that most of them are extolling their virtues and life's too short to fix them all.
If you want to advertise you have to pay sponsor subs....just like Patrick has. Thanks

Last edited:
Barbie. I understand you are Hedgerow Honey. It might be best if you stopped suggesting we shop with you ?
I've deleted a few of your posts but I see that most of them are extolling their virtues and life's too short to fix them all.
If you want to advertise you have to pay sponsor subs....just like Patrick has. Thanks
Let’s hope he’s better at beekeeping than computers then😂

If anyone would like to talk to someone about being a sponsor, they can use this link: BeeKeepingForum Advertising

Sponsors can post new threads in the Sponsor forum.
They can reply to topics on products they sell.
So in this case Patrick was replying in context of the discussion. If he had posted about something not pertaining to the context of the discussion, that would have been deleted.

Anyone of the members that are stealth advertising and selling should check into being a Sponsor. Otherwise, they should stop stealth advertising.

That’s ok. We are just a small business trying to make a go of it after being constantly undercut by the very associations who said they would support us.

It's good to have new blood participating however the bias advertising and recommends are against the forum rules.

Barbie Bee, not really how I would expect a BFA apprentice to act. You do have my sympathies and I sort of admire your enthusiasm but it is misguided in this instance in my opinion. Good luck with the apprenticeship though(y)

I am also on the BFA apprenticeship scheme so really do find this forum informative and useful. Also everything I’ve put is honest and true. John is full of knowledge and can talk bees till the cows come home!
So honest and true that a few weeks ago you honestly couldn't remember his name?!

There’s a good equipment supplier in Langdon on tern between shrewsbury and Telford. He’s kept bees for almost 50 years and is really knowledgeable and will help with any queries or kit. It’s hedgerow honey but can’t remember chaps name!!!

Instead of replying to a post you don’t like the best counter is to get back to the topics we all signed up for and that is the hobby for many of beekeeping, ignore or use and commercial paid for responses it’s your choice. Many of the people responding do not even contribute to the financial burden of running a forum perhaps that’s worth thinking on.

That’s ok. We are just a small business trying to make a go of it after being constantly undercut by the very associations who said they would support us.
Hi Barbie, I genuinely understand the difficulties of getting started in business and trying to compete in such an aggressive market, If you would like to contact me we can see where we are causing you a problem and moderate our impact on your business. Many business people misunderstand the way business works, ( not wishing to sound patronising ) the more active, successful players and choice the better the market would be for everyone. That is why and how we have so many supermarkets, the products are basically the same but the business models are different. Please give me call I am sure if nothing else I can learn to understand what I am doing that is not helpful ( apart from breathing of course ) :)

Latest posts

Back