hive plus three roofs stolen staffordshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

A very good friend of mine has had one complete hive and three hive roofs pinched over the weekend, the initial thinking that the roofs were pinched for scrap ,
The complete hive contents (frames and bees ) were found on Monday by myself discarded in the middle of a country lane , about 3/4 of a mile from where stolen,
I just hope the Ba****** had the hive in a car and the bees attacked them so forcing them to ditch the contents ...

anyway this happend Saturday / Sunday 5thor6th Feb Near to the A 461 and M6 toll junction Saredon if anyone saw anything by any chance pls contact me :mad::mad::mad:

Ps the bees in two of the hiveswith no roofs perished so lost three colonies in total

That’s not good and bad thing all round its very odd that they took the rooves

I hope they were stung several times and they are still suffering from it. :banghead:

This is the first time I have heard from someone who has direct experience of stolen hives. Do you think if there are signs about the danger of being stung it decreases the chances of problems? I guess there is a trade off - make a sign too far away and it alerts people to the presence of the bees - but closer to the hives would it help? Most of the younger generations seem quite scared of flying insects and even spiders.
I think my hives would also be quite difficult for anyone to get to with transport. So I am hoping to avoid problems like this.
It must be hard to lose three colonies in this way because it takes some planning to restock - though perhaps this person had other colonies which gives a little flexibility? Pass on my commiserations - it's of no practical help. Let us hope they were stung badly and are too guilty to get help.
Tricia

This is the first time I have heard from someone who has direct experience of stolen hives. Do you think if there are signs about the danger of being stung it decreases the chances of problems? I guess there is a trade off - make a sign too far away and it alerts people to the presence of the bees - but closer to the hives would it help? Most of the younger generations seem quite scared of flying insects and even spiders.
I think my hives would also be quite difficult for anyone to get to with transport. So I am hoping to avoid problems like this.
It must be hard to lose three colonies in this way because it takes some planning to restock - though perhaps this person had other colonies which gives a little flexibility? Pass on my commiserations - it's of no practical help. Let us hope they were stung badly and are too guilty to get help.
Tricia

Not quite the same but signs didn't stop this :Thief-electrocuted-trying-steal-copper-cable-carrying-11-000-volts

Their perceived reward is greater than the risk involved!!!!
They also need to be able to read or the signs be pictographic for the itinerant folk.

"Thief-electrocuted-trying-steal-copper-cable-carrying-11-000-volts"

Darwinism at its best.

I wonder if there is a way of combining 11kV with metal hive roofs... hmm

"Thief-electrocuted-trying-steal-copper-cable-carrying-11-000-volts"

Darwinism at its best.

I wonder if there is a way of combining 11kV with metal hive roofs... hmm

Odd thing is there's loads of them at it around the world, well not any more in some cases. Is this a case of the natural selection theory in real time?

Cow fence gives a nasty sting.

Last edited:
what you have to do is is get your pikey friend to attacth the back of the transit van to a rope and then to a BIG cable along side of the rialway line you and your other friends then walk approx the length of the field down the tracks each way from the rope knot. using a petrol disk cutter with a carburundon blade one of you chops into the LIVE mains cable , once you get past the metal armour and into one of the first or two phase cables the power surge should cause a massive blow out, you then wait 10 seconds before continuting with the cut and you mate will also start to cut.

the ten second wait is because cables this big dont trip like at home after seven seconds they try to re engange the breakers automaticly once its gone bang twice its dead.

mean while BOB sixty miles away finds a fault light on his computer, he then calls ROB who gets to finish his tea gets in the landy rover and starts driving in and out of fields , lanes, roads embankments etc untill he finds or rather not finds the said missing cable and then calls BOB to say whats happened.

rubber boots and gloves connected with a heavy earth strap and points on the soles of the boots to earth every thing and you are FAIRLY SAFE ISH

half a mile of copper wire, yes HALF A MILE OF COPPER WIRE went missing from the railway lines at Kidderminster near one of my building sites and thats how the police told me they did it and no one was found guilty, wonderfull.

i waiting till next week to see how the git that stole my bee hives gets on

What makes me laugh is these idiots get injured and we have to pay to fix them. They should be left to rot... Gimme a gun, I'd pull the trigger :reddevil:

Did you say that it was the 24 or 25 February Pete and which court is dealing with the miscreant? I had almost forgotten . . .

Quickupdate

Remaining 5 colonies now moved and settled in at more secure site,

police informed no response as yet ,

Aipiary site vacant if anyone interested,

where bees found 200 yds from a pikey site ( not implying they had anything to do with theft ) but....
anyway be aware chaps it doesn't always happen to someone else so stay vigilant

Surely members of the beekeeping community must be buying the hives from the thieves otherwise the equipment would be worthless?

Perhaps more questions about provenance should be asked when offered cheap gear from someone who's never kept bees, and when questioned knows naff all about beekeeping?

It's sad that many such thefts are undertaken by people with a little knowledge. Hi Moggett - originally posted in response to our very similar forum names! But you got there first!

Last edited:
BUMP . . .

Did you say that it was the 24 or 25 February Pete and which court is dealing with the miscreant?

I had almost forgotten . . .

Latest posts

Back