Hive in a building?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi

I am thinking of utilising an old outbuilding which is draft proof and watertight to house my hive. It has a high opening in a side wall which I propose will be the bees entrance/exit to the building, encouraging the bees to exit the hive and fly high.

Are there any reasons that you experienced guys believe this hive cannot/should not be positioned in this building and will the bees find the preferred building entrance exit or will they make their own route? Will I be able to change their route if they choose the wrong route?

That question sounds as clear as mud to me reading it back, anyone able to de-cipher it and suggest any answers?

Cheers

BH

Does the building have any windows as this will cause problems especially if they don't open. Not sure of any other problems. Could you not put a hole through the wall and make a bee tight entrance to the hive? no issues with other entrances that way.
Ab

Does the building have any windows as this will cause problems especially if they don't open.
Ab

Thanks AB. There are no windows in the part of the building that I intend to position the hive. An attached part of the building does and also has power with a freezer etc.

One issue I do see is that of using natural bright light to examine the frames. Looking for that day old egg may be made a little more difficult in light entering through a skylight.

Humm. ok thats an issue I've never had to even think about before maybe try to contact some one who uses a closed in bee trailer (usually a converted horse trailer) as this must be an issue with those as well. Not sure if anyone on here has one but I've seen them for sale now and again.
Ab

Thinking in terms of only one hive is almost certainly a mistake. You really want to keep at least 2 for reasons often rehearsed, and if you plan to keep 2 then you need enough positions available for 3 or 4.

A question that always comes to mind when talk is of a hive in a building is how do the bees get back in the hive after an inspection. I.e they're flying about inside the building but the entrance is outside.

First solution that comes to mind is you need an open window or door so they can get out - is that the way??

Re - light for checking the frames. Fishing cap maybe ? the ones with the lights in the brim. Aldi had them recently for 3 quid, I picked up a couple.

cheers

Dave

A question that always comes to mind when talk is of a hive in a building is how do the bees get back in the hive after an inspection. I.e they're flying about inside the building but the entrance is outside.

First solution that comes to mind is you need an open window or door so they can get out - is that the way??

That's a good call - I can leave the door open but it is quite a large space - originally pig sty that has been developed over time. I guess time will tell...:thanks:

Thinking in terms of only one hive is almost certainly a mistake. You really want to keep at least 2 for reasons often rehearsed, and if you plan to keep 2 then you need enough positions available for 3 or 4.

Of course you are correct - there is enough space for approx 4 hives with room to work around each one for inspections etc. Hope to acquire my next hive at the weekend coming at the Bee Fayre and Auction ready for any swarm collecting opportunties that may arise soon....

Don't forget to consider room temperature.

If the building is un-heated then the bees may be as active as when the heat of the sun hits a hive when it's outside.
If it's heated then they may not cluster over winter.

The too extremes, but worth a though imho.

I have had two hives in an agricultural building + various nukes for two years. Each hive has an individual opening to the outside with its own colour. The building is light and airy so inspections are easier than the one in the garden with the bees outside and me inside. I did it because of my bad tempered neighbour! but I am pleased with how it has worked out.

Latest posts

Back