Hive identifiction please chaps....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusm427

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 + 2 nuc
My neighbour has offered me the use of an old hive (was given to him in the 50's when his grandad died) to me as I am in desperate need for rehiving prolific swarms.

Can anyone help me with identiying the make of this hive, in order to get replacement parts? e.g. frame, brood boxes

I have taken a few photos but I believe internally there is a bit of a hash up!

Many thanks

Marcus

Wow! thats different. It looks as though its a hybrid between a single skin and doouble skin- could it be a lash-up of bits of different hives? My only thoughts are that the only hives I know with porches are WBC's and cottage hives- you could try looking up dimensions for those. I believe both take british standard frames.

Good luck!

Looks similar to my WBC's but that seems to taper.

Clean it up, and see what brood and super boxes fit.

Failing that, give it me, I'll clean it up;)

Looks like a WBC. Definately looks like it needs a massive clean up.

Lots of firewood in there. Split top bars? Bonfire fodder.

To be honest I would burn the lot and buy new. If you need it so badly then consider uniting.

Thinking here "rod for own back"

PH

To be honest I would burn the lot and buy new. If you need it so badly then consider uniting.

PH

The outside looks salvageable. Depends if you like WBC's;)

Looks like a cottager hive to moi !!

John Wilkinson.
Ps No I'm not that old :leaving:

I have a similar one without the guts.
It was identified to me as a 'Cottager' by an old beek in West sussex.
He started with them as a boy in the 30's/40's.

There's a hive I'm about to try to do up that looks just like that. There will be much scraping and blow torching before I let bees near it - presumably you had than in mind too.

So a Cottager is a version of a WBC?

cottager1900small.jpg

from here:

http://beehivejournal.blogspot.com/2010/01/cottager-hive.html

G.

Cheers guys
I ment to add that i had put one of our wbc supers on to ilustrate the size difference.

Yes we do have a couple of nice pretty WBC but the reason for the "rod for my back" is i wish to keep a couple of hives at home not just at our farm and my dads farmhouse garden and our neighbor said as we dont have much space that is not child proof he remarked that he would love to have bees in his massive garden again. So i will do all i can to restore this hive.

Thanks for the suggestion of 'cottage style' and i will research this avenue but as we mainly run 14 x 12 we dont have much to go in it frames wise.

So a couple of questions.

I remember from seeing pros at our local meetings saying the run a standurd brood and a half. why is this or should i just modify this hive to our normal Extra deep brood frame.

if i do mod this hive are the internal brood and super box dimentions critical from a bee health and development that is Excluding the obvious rules of hive bilding e.g top or bottom bee space and frame spacing etc

thanks for your time

marcus

I go with a cottager too.. National frames should fit but these hives have not been made for quite a while and It might be somewhat difficult to get additional parts for unless you can make them yourself!

Nice to see one in such good condition though!

WBCs are a double skinned hive - inner boxes with removable outer lifts. That hive does not appear to be of that description.

Anything much later than the 1920's will take standard National frames, or some other standard frame. Non-standard frames were made obsolete by the British standard, almost overnight (well, in a short time-span).

Regards, RAB

WBCs are a double skinned hive - inner boxes with removable outer lifts. That hive does not appear to be of that description.

Anything much later than the 1920's will take standard National frames, or some other standard frame. Non-standard frames were made obsolete by the British standard, almost overnight (well, in a short time-span).

Regards, RAB

I'll tell my cousin that....should make him laugh ,he uses smith hives and commercials

:auto:..leaving fast

PH

I am sorry PH but, "Bonfire fodder". what an attitude to take? Its like ripping out perfectly good wooden window and fitting a PVCu replacement. Someone spent ages making that hive by hand. The top bars are not split, it looks like part of the design to take foundation. Its a peice of our bee keeping history, not something to be destroyed and forgotten.

Good on you marcusm427 for taking the time and effort to restore it.

Steve.

PH

Have you seen the price of these in posh junk shops in London for richer peolple than me to have in their gardens as an ornament? I've seen really tatty efforts on sale for nigh on £200! Sell it and buy a new one.
Cazza

Have you seen the price of these in posh junk shops in London for richer peolple than me to have in their gardens as an ornament? I've seen really tatty efforts on sale for nigh on £200! Sell it and buy a new one.
Cazza
When I started reading the thread I thought a garden ornament plus a garden desighner would love this and like you said ££££
Burn it :banghead: dont be daft

Grug

They are split top bars. As in designed to be.

As for history... possibly. Disease reserve very possibly too.

Just because a piece of junk is old does not make it essential to preserve it.

PH

Back