Hive heater! any thoughts......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps, possibly, keeping bees at MINUS 20 degrees C most of the year.... Finnies bees need any help they can get... particularly as they were possibly , maybee adapted originally for hot clement Mediterranean climes?

My bees have not evoluted in some valley of Ice Age tundra*). I try to offer them the best Environment.

Yes, normal Europen bees have evoluted in Africa. During Ice Age the Environnement of Mediterranian was like Taiga forest of Siberia. (Compare with face news)

Actually your Black Bees were the last bee race, which migrated to Europe via Gibraltar. So says Science.

*) tundra means vegetation where are no trees. And no neet places to bees. The soil is always frozen a year around.

Last edited:

My bees have not evoluted in some valley of Ice Age tundra*). I try to offer them the best Environment.

Yes, normal Europen bees have evoluted in Africa. During Ice Age the Environnement of Mediterranian was like Taiga forest of Siberia. (Compare with face news)

Actually your Black Bees were the last bee race, which migrated to Europe via Gibraltar. So says Science.

*) tundra means vegetation where are no trees. And no neet places to bees. The soil is always frozen a year around.
So, when you place a heater under your over-wintered hives, what gain, in terms of time, do you think you obtain compared to your friends who do not use heaters?

CVB

Not needed in the UK.
We haven't had a proper winter for years.

The heater is not for winter.

I use it in April and May. It makes possible larger brood area, 2-3 fold together with protein patty feeding.
The heater helps best in biggest hives. I get more brood and I can give brood frames to small colonies to Make them productive. Patty feeding does not help small colonies or nucs.

Electric heating is very rare in Finland and it is not needed in Finland either. I can say that in UK guys do tens of actions, what we do not use at all in Finland. One such is Bailey comb operation, long hive, Rose hive, prewired foundations and fairys.

Last edited:
Heating does not start early brood rearing. It is pollen or protein feeding.

It is sad that One Guy from Tamar Valley gives all the time wrong information about Finland's nature Environment. But so he does about English beekeeping too. A sad Guy.

Last edited:
Heating does not start early brood rearing. It is pollen or protein feeding.

It is sad that One Guy from Tamar Valley gives all the time wrong information about Finland's nature Environment. But so he does about English beekeeping too. A sad Guy.
But he does have fairys at the bottom of his garden! :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Back